New Lounger
    Thanks

text broken or missing (or faded)

more 001.jpg

On my desktop, the text under the icons is broken up with parts missing. The text on websites I go to (Google Chrome), is also broken up with parts of letters missing or faded. Any ideas?
    Last edited by cremator; 2013-04-13 at 20:38.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is text like that on entire machine in all apps?

Check video driver- see if windows update changed it

If no driver changed; try setting/unsetting clear type.

My last suggestion- try a different video card; could be RAM on card corrupting.

If it is ONLY is a specific app...

Web browser? Try turning off any options to do with hardware rendering I. The app itself. Reboot, see if it helped.
    Photoshop/the Gimp/ gfx app? Maybe you hit your video memory limit? I don't know

On-board video?
    What is the BIOS aperture size? Then again, if this is a NEW problem, that settings probably was never changed (most users don't go there, let alone fiddle with the settings willy-nilly)

More info please!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, what Windows are you running?
    Could be an issue with Desktop Composition. Try using a Windows CLASSIC theme (one that looks like Windows 98- no fancy clear stuff, plain-looking mono-colored Min/Max/Close buttons)

What color depth is your desktop?
    Examples : 8 bit (bad) , 16 bit (better) , 24 bit (strange, but better still) , or 32 bit (optimum for 95% of standard Windows stuff) ?

I have seen text corruption at all bit depths- it depends on the card.

Good luck