New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot open Word documents (*.docx)

I have six Word documents that I copied to a new computer last year (among 1000s of others) that I cannot now open, copy, move, edit, send to, or any other file operation. When I try to open any of them, I receive the following error message:
    "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges (D:\My Documents\Personal\*.docx)"
    I have tried to modify the Security settings on both the documents and the folder, and they are all seemingly set so that I have permission. In the Properties>Security dialog box, all "Group or user names" are set to "Full Control" (see attached). See also the attached "Advanced Security Settings" Permissions and Owner GIFs.
    So, as far as I can tell, I have set all permissions so that I should be able to open these six files, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions?

Stuart

Microsoft Office Profession Plus 2010 (Version: 14.0.6129.5000 32-bit)
    Windows 7x64 SP1
    Intel Core i7-2600K
    16GB RAM
    C: Intel SSD 120GB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try TakeOwnership. Once installed, right click the files and choose Take Ownership, then check if you can open the files.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, however it did not work. I installed the .reg file, which added the "TakeOwnership" option to the right-click menu. When clicking on that option, it opened a dialog box for just a moment, and then trying to open the document produced the same error message.
    philosopher1104

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    You might try booting into Safe Mode and signing on as the Administrator. This should give you all the privilege you need. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Used msconfig to do a Safe Mode boot, signed on using my administrator password (the only account on the machine, actually), but was still not able to access these files. They seem really, really resistant to being opened, and I don't know why. They don't seem to be individually password protected, which I almost never do anyway, because they aren't asking for a password. The content in the files is not mission critical or anything, but I would like to get at them if possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    See this article then try it again. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it looks like the files are actually encrypted, though I have no idea why I would have done so, nor do I remember doing so. They were transferred from a previous machine, having been created at least two years ago. I looked through my files to see if I could find an encryption certificate, but with no luck. The only program I have that encrypts files (jv16 PowerTools) could not decrypt them. So, unless someone has a suggested way of accessing them without an encryption key or certificate, I guess I am out of luck on them. I discovered this by enabling the Attributes column.