Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

IE 9 Spawning Windows on clicking X or Alt+F4

Hey Y'all,

I got a call from a friend today about IE 9 spawning multiple IE 9 windows when he clicked the X to exit. I told him to try Alt+F4 to close the window but it just spawned more windows. I figured VIRUS so I headed over to his place.
    Well he had about 40 IE instances. I tried the Alt+F4 and it started closing windows until I got out. But I went back in and it started again. It all depends who is faster...If I could press Alt+F4 faster than the machine could spawn new windows I could get back to the desk top. Twice I had to use the power switch to get out.

Ok, VIRUS? Luckily I had put Malwarebytes on his machine two years ago, I know this because the definitions were 700+ days out of date! So I let it update and ran a full scan...NOTHING! MSE was also showing Green!.

I tried entering an Address in the start button search box {sorry forgot to mention Win 7 64 bit} and no problem I could use IE normally. But, if I clicked on the icon and let it load the home page problem city. He is using iGoogle as his home page. Has Google been hacked?

I loaded up Firefox and transferred settings from IE on install. Loaded up the homepage and no problem.

So, I'm stumped with what is going on with IE-9. Checked things out with SysInternals Autoruns, nothing there. Looked at IE addons, nothing there either.

I'm totally baffled! I've got him using FF for the time being but this is going to drive me nuts until I know what's up! Did some googling but found nothing, at least with the terms I thought to use.

All Ideas/Solutions welcomed...I need sleep after all.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    That's not a virus, RG. It's a well known IE behavior. It has happened to me tens of times. Eventually I stopped using IE and no longer care.

One thing that was always surprising, was the way to solve it. Some clicks on the X worked properly, others just opened even more windows. Eventually, through clicking and process killing, I would manage close all the windows.

So, while this does not help avoiding the issue, know it's not an infection causing it, it's just IE being itself .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    It's a well known IE behavior.
    Got any links to substantiate that wild claim? I used IE9 for a long time and never heard of it.

(Or are you disparaging ALL versions of IE here?)

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    No, I have my own experience, which is quite enough. If you want to understand it in a stricter sense, understand it as being a well known IE behavior according to my own experience. Tens of situations in Windows in my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 desktop and my Windows 7 Ultimate x86 laptop (since upgraded to Windows 8) make it not a wild claim, but a situation experienced in the first person.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No, I have my own experience, which is quite enough. If you want to understand it in a stricter sense, understand it as being a well know IE behavior according to my own experience. Tens of situations in Windows in my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 desktop and my Windows 7 Ultimate x86 laptop (since upgraded to Windows 8) make it not a wild claim, but a situation experienced in the first person.
    Experience by one person (well, two now) makes describing it as well-known behavior totally misleading, especially if you attribute it to all versions.

Who else knows this behavior well other than you?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-04-14 at 15:55.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You attributed it to all versions, not me. It was your interpretation.

If you wait a bit, I am going to ask around. Sec...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, a teeny-weeny bit better known behavior. But IE7 on Vista and XP is ancient history.

I think RG should try a different home page, as iGoogle will cease to exist in six months anyway.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    This happens regardless of the page, so changing the home page will accomplish nothing.

This happened to me on IE 9 and Windows 7 Ultimate (x64 and x86) - that I can state clearly. Not sure if it happened with IE 8, don't really remember. Windows 7 is not really ancient history and IE 9 should be the most popular IE version.

One of the reasons I stopped using IE was the fact that Microsoft ignored several bugs I submitted, so it's not really a far fetched thought that the bug has persisted through multiple versions. My main issue with IE (a memory leak that made my version reach 1.5 GB of memory use after a few hours), persists in IE 10 even after reporting it for IE 9, so I have no reason to think it's not the same exact problem, which I know so very well, that has remained in IE throughout all these versions. In fact, that would make it quite an old problem, which is typical of IE.

P.S.: Thx for the spelling tip .
    P.S.2. Actually, using a different home page can stop the manifestation of the problem, but it is likely that it will happen again. It did when I experienced it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 is not really ancient history and IE 9 should be the most popular IE version.
    No, I said IE7 was ancient (7 years), not Windows 7.

You still appear to be the only person in the world who had experienced this with IE9?

Most people who have experienced it with any version (of the half dozen or so you finally managed to dredge up) seem to say it only happens with certain pages.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Go read RG's initial post. That makes two of us now. It's an exclusive club .

It doesn't happen with all pages, but it happens with multiple pages. I am sorry if this annoys you in any way. It did annoy me so much, that it played a role in my decision to dump IE completely (though, I will readily admit, the memory leak was the last, final drop).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I am sorry if this annoys you in any way.
    It doesn't annoy me at all, because I (like the vast majority of the billions of other IE users) have never experienced anything like it.

But it is annoying and unhelpful to have a very rare and obscure fault written off as "just IE being itself" without any explanation of the cause.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-04-14 at 17:54.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, I am sure you wouldn't like me to invent an explanation. I don't know why IE does it and you can see that this behavior has been experienced, by different users, in multiple IE versions.

About the "written off" part, well, that pretty much sums my feelings towards IE. IE was my default browser for a long time. Then, tired of the persistent issues and lack of response from the IE dev team to bugs I experienced and submitted, I just wrote IE off. I have no hope whatsover that IE will regain the place it has lost as my default browser, precisely because of such obscure and rare faults. As obscure and rare as they may be, they did affect my daily usage of the browser, so I opted to change the browser, instead of letting it keep annoying me any further.

It was a hard decision, as I would really like to dump all things Google, but I find Chrome to be much better and doesn't exhibit all the rare and obscure faults that kept haunting IE. Maybe I was just unlucky .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, in the past, we could attribute more problems with I.E. to I.E. being the dominate browser by far. Now with Chrome on top of the heap, seems like I.E. is still leading 10 to 1 in the problems department.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To add my two bits, I never had this problem with IE9, but I did start to have the problem on both my PC's in the last couple of weeks since switching to IE10. Ended up with about 20 Google shortcuts on my toolbar as well.
    Gone back to IE9 on the main PC, it was driving my wife crazy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast