2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Local Profiles becoming slow - Root Cause

What would cause an XP profile to become slow. We have multiple PCís on our network (In different location on different LANís) that report issues with the PC performance. Opening up an small excel file from the file server takes about 30 seconds. Other applications are also running very very slow. We have checked the servers and conducted network captures. All looks fine and is well below network utilisation. So we pointed the finger at the local PCís as the problem. But its strange that over the last two / three weeks the PCís have been become slow. On some of the slow PCís, we have removed and re-created users local profiles (Not roaming profiles) which has made a difference.

So my question would be what could I do to obtain Root Cause to why the profiles have become slow? We have checked recent releases and anti-Virus which have not had any cause for concern.

What tasks can be done to obtain and try and identify root cause?

Could it be a virus?

Any help would be appreciated. What we donít want to do is re-build the profiles without understanding why the profiles are slow as we might get a repeat incident.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Have you run Task Manager at the time of the slowness to see what is running?

Have you done any other performance monitoring on the affected PCs - memory, disk?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you run Task Manager at the time of the slowness to see what is running?

Have you done any other performance monitoring on the affected PCs - memory, disk?

Joe
    Hi Joe,

yes I have asked the engineers to capture the Task manager so we can analyse what is running. If not a process of services slowing the profile down. What else do you think it could be?

Memory and CPU look ok.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    A virus is a possibility. Have you run full malware scans?
    Is there anything unique about the affected PCs?
    Have the affected PCs had any new hardware or software installed recently?

Joe

Thanks
    i would install winpatrol (free version) and look at running processes, i.e. helpers (browser helpers), and run the built in 'hijack' log to see everything that's running on the system. do web searches on processes that you don't know about before deleting anything.

hint: check the lock file types box under the options tab.

Thanks
    Sometimes a user profile will get hosed in some way. If you create a new profile, the problem goes away, because the problem was located somewhere in the profile in question.

This recently happened to me. I could no longer log on to my job from home via Citrix. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Citrix, but I couldn't do either one.

I created a new user profile and logged in under it. All problems have disappeared.

I'm still keeping the old profile around for a while longer, until I move all documents from it to another location. Then I'll delete it.