Lounger
    Thanks

Fone/online Validation, refurbished Optiplex 755, OEM 7-64bit?

Need setup advice re week old refurbished Dell OptiPlex 755-2-250, with Win7-sp1 64bit, installed by certified OEM refurbisher. Kept my original 2002 Dell Dimension 2400 XP-sp3 as my current workhorse (on wired LAN with 1997 Emachine XuBuntu 10.10 and Generic 2005 DeskTop uBuntu 12.04LTS). My XP is being used for attending this forum. Win7 is off-line and not yet activated.

Powered up OptiPlex.. Win7-sp1/64b came up. Used start menu to unearth system info and explore my newest PC. Entered product Key, but didn’t validate/activate directly with MS, pending resolution of the following quandaries.

1. Telephone validate? rather than on-line to MS? Or, since Win Defender & Win Firewall running, assume safe to connect to router (which also has a firewall? Need a Browser to “talk to” MS ? Only IE-v8, as default program, available for installation. Question: Since it’s listed as a program, may I assume it’s not integral with the WinOS and can be uninstalled, re-installed, etc relatively hassle free. If the latter is true, IE is then my road to downloading FireFox. I’ve used Mozilla FireFox for many years; I’m open- minded and adventurous, but don’t want to be boxed in with IE. Pros and cons, pls , plus recommendation.

2. If I prefer NOT to install/upgrade IE and activate/validate by fone, how do I get on-line to down-load FireFox? Buy a CD-installed version? Pls advise.

The following issues are secondary to 1 & 2 above; I can research on my own. But as a long-time Brian Livingston/heirs follower I’d appreciate input from gurus I trust, if I’m not being perceived as gaming my membership. Please address/comment as your spirit is willing.

A OptiPlex came with (2) Microsoft-labeled DVDs (qualified as ‘Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC’), Win7 Home premium, includes Service pack 1). One dvd, 64-bit; one dvd, 32-bit. No Key noted/referenced on the DVD sleeves. Hopefully, I assume these disks are software/hardware tethered to my OptiPlex MotherBoard? And I can use my 64-bit disk to clean-reinstall my Win7, after I replace my OptiPlex’s non-refurbished HDD and start fresh with a newly bought HDD? Accordingly, may I also try a fresh installs with the 32-bit? Finally, how about: Dual boot 32 & 64? Same MoBo, same Key? Legal?, Moral?, Technically feasible?

B. I plan to install an e-PCI adapter (USB-3.0) to augment the OptiPlex’s 1000mb ethernet, IPv6, and RAID capability. We’re not Gamers, but are acquiring an interest in streaming Video/TV to and from the PC. Any $modest hardware suggestions, that I may install when I open the Optiplex box, would be appreciated. I do plan to upgrade the current 2GB RAM, to its max 8GB. (Aside, 4 memory slots, two of which are paired 1gb each, DDR2. OK? to pair (2) 2gb each in remaining 2 slots for total 6GB RAM? save a few $.)

C. The following is just for context. Plan to augment my retirement by blogging, creating websites, whatever to keep exercising the “little grey cells” to balance out our work-outs at the local Y. The OptiPlex will be paired with my WinXP pc via a KVM switch allowing one Monitor, one mouse and one keyboard to control (2) PCs. Learn/create on one PC; switch to other PCs on our LAN to view results. Same as I use my (2) KVMd Ubuntu PCs to learn Linux.

Again, items 1&2 are of prime concern. Responses to A, B and C, are “nice to get”, if time permits. Sincerely appreciated.

wenkoe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, safe to go online with a browser when you put the address of where you want to go into the address bar and go there. It's getting sidetracked with a google or bing search to find where you want to go which may be potentially dangerous. So you would open I.E. browser and type in www.mozilla.org and enter and find a direct link to downloading Firefox at thier website. I.E. 8 is in Programs and Features probably but I would not uninstall it, some version of I.E. will always be present; updates will want to to get I.E. 9 anyway. Seems a bit strange to me because my almost two year old refurb already came with I.E.9 on it. In any case I would just let the Internet connection activate your install as well, that also is a direct connection to the activation servers without chance of going somewhere bad.

It's only when you start surfing, using search engines, opening email, that you will become vulnerable to viruses.

Thanks
    F.U.N. downtown is correct about online activation, it doesn't even visibly go through a browser. The dual boot 32/64 with the same key violates the EULA. One Product Key = One Windows 7 installation. And no, the "only one is active at any time" argument doesn't fly; I chased that one down a few years ago.

As for 32bit vs 64bit, you can only use 4GB RAM with 32bit, and you won't see all of that. With 64bit, you are basically only limited by the amount of RAM your motherboard will support. I think Home Premium will support up to 16GB (but not all motherboards will support 4GB per socket). I've got a Dell Inspiron 580 that the documentation says will support 8GB, but Intel says the chipset will support 16GB. I'm running 16GB, and Windows 7 sees all of it, with 15.8GB usable.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Appreciate the response. Specifically, is IE an inseparable part of Win OS? or is it just like any other program, such as FireFox would be after download? Also: Will I bring down the wrath of MS if I replace my refurbished PC's Hard Drive with a newly purchased HDD? Namely, is PC identity tied to the MoBo and/or the PC's HDD?
    Thanks. (If F.U.N. notes this, I'd appreciate his input, also.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You may use Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | Turn Windows Features on or off - to disable IE.

The alogorithm that is used to identify your PC is based on a number of PC components. Replacing your HD may cause your to re-activate Windows. If so it is not a big deal. If Windows will not activate online just give Microsoft a call. They are very good about giving you an activation key over the phone.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Once in a great while, a HDD change will trigger a reactivation requirement but as a rule you should be just fine if you clone the older drive to a new drive and switch them.

For all practical purposes I.E. is inseparable from Windows and that should not be mistaken with being able to uninstall versions 8 thru 10. It always falls back to the next version under the present one. Instead, what you can do is go to Control Panel>Programs and Features and click on Turn Windows features on or off. In that list you should find an entry for Internet Explorer. Clearing the checkbox and OK it will hide/disable I.E. There may be undesired side-effects from that action or not, have to try and see.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks F.U.N. and JoeP517. I'll button this up by installing new HDD and address the Validation issue by phone, if and when needed. I'll use the old HDD (after checking for viruses, etc, as a BU on my older sata Linux PC). As for IE, if I can disable, I assume Malware, etc can enable. Better to enable and not use, but auto update and patch, while using FireFox as default Browser.
    Last edited by wenkoe; 2013-04-17 at 11:22.