Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Want smartphone synchronisation with Outlook

Hi

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems finding this information easily. I am looking at upgrading my rather ancient mobile phone with one of the latest and greatest smartphones.

My very old non touch screen Nokia can do this, but I would like to know how easy (if even possible) it is synchronise with Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 using Windows 7; and Windows 8 with Outlook 2013. I need to be able sync the following Outlook components: emails, calendars (appointments and all-day events), tasks, contacts and notes – with their categories and reminders.

NB: I do not want to sync via the cloud using www.outlook.com or any other cloud service due to privacy concerns and or downtimes.

I have not decided on which smartphone operating system to use as the decision will be largely determined on if it is possible to synchronise. I would like to know if this is possible with the latest Windows Nokia Lumia 920, Blackberry Z10, Apple as well as the latest Android phones (HTC and Samsung).

Thanks for your time.

Caric
    Last edited by Caric; 2013-04-15 at 13:59.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Outlook 2010 or 2013 synchronization is not possible with any of the Lumia (or Windows) phones. I have been there as well, since I owned a Nokia before getting a Lumia (the 800) and not having synch with Outlook seemed like an unacceptable situation. I wanted the Lumia, though, so I took the plunge. Contacts and calendars can easily be synched through Outlook.com (having migrated more than a year ago, had no problems whatsoever). There is no syncing for tasks.

In more than a year, I can say I overcame the need to sync with Outlook.

If syncing is a must, then you need to go through the Android or iOS alternative. I can't be sure about iOS, but Android offers tooks to synch with Outlook. I also have no idea whether the Z10 supports this.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Caric,

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 and sync Outlook 2010 and 2003, both using Win-7 64 bit, via the free Samsung Keis software. Works just fine. Haven't moved it to my Windows 8 machine as of today. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ruirib

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. You may be interested to know that I have just noticed a fellow WS reader comment in another post that he was able to do this with a Windows 8 phone. I have asked him how he was able to do it.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...look-to-iPhone
    Regards
    Caric

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RetiredGeek

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Regards
    Caric

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caric View Post
    Hi ruirib

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. You may be interested to know that I have just noticed a fellow WS reader comment in another post that he was able to do this with a Windows 8 phone. I have asked him how he was able to do it.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...look-to-iPhone
    Regards
    Caric
    Hi Caric,

I have replied at the other topic.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My need is to sync a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Outlook 2010, and I'm not keen on doing it the Google way, either. I tried Samsung Kies, didn't like it at all, as it messed up my contact and appointment data. I tried all the products offered for syncing directly - half a dozen or more - finished up with Android-Sync. It's not perfect, after using Windows Mobile Device Centre on my old Windows 6 phone, but it will suffice. Avoid MyPhoneExplorer, which hijacked my search bar, and did all sorts of other stuff, without my permission; also, it only syncs a very limited set of Outlook data.

I hope this deals with the question posed by the OP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JohnFleming for the warning about MyPhoneExplorer.

I have been doing some reasearch and have come across some programmes that may help, although I have not been able to test any of them personnaly.

http://www.bb10outlooksync.com/

http://www.akruto.com/

http://www.companionlink.com/products/bb10-outlook.html

http://www.kartamobile.com/viira.php

So far I am leaning towards the BB10 Outlooksync. The Companion Link and Akruto look like they might be the same thing as they both refer to DejaOffice.

If any WS readers have personal experiance of these, let me know.

Thanks again for your suggestions / Help.

Regards
    Caric
    Last edited by Caric; 2013-04-18 at 02:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Caric - Have used CompanionLink - which syncs to Deja Office on my Galaxy S III Android. Have used the USB and the local Wireless methods. This product works VERY well for me. Initially, I had some issues with Dups in my Contacts, but the more recent versions work perfectly. Outlook 2013 Windows 7 64 Bit. ALSO, use CodeTwo on this machine to Sync Outlook 2013 to a Windows 8 64 bit machine with Outlook 2013. This is Wireless as well and works perfectly.

Al

10. The Following User Says Thank You to albenzing For This Useful Post:

Caric (2013-04-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by albenzing2 View Post
    Caric - Have used CompanionLink - which syncs to Deja Office on my Galaxy S III Android. Have used the USB and the local Wireless methods. This product works VERY well for me. Initially, I had some issues with Dups in my Contacts, but the more recent versions work perfectly. Outlook 2013 Windows 7 64 Bit. ALSO, use CodeTwo on this machine to Sync Outlook 2013 to a Windows 8 64 bit machine with Outlook 2013. This is Wireless as well and works perfectly.

Al
    Not on topic (sorry), but you really should change your username to avoid your email address being harvested and used for spam.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Caric (2013-04-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good point - didn't realize that when I did the login - will fix that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by albenzing2 View Post
    Good point - didn't realize that when I did the login - will fix that.
    I have emailed you. Please reply and we'll sort it that way.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using MyPhoneExplorer for over a year (I think), and have had very few problems on my Galaxy S with Android 2.3.3. It has not lost or corrupted any data, nor hijacked my browser. (Perhaps JohnFleming was careless during installation?) In fact, MyPhoneExplorer has been a godsend. I use it mostly to sync my calendar over Bluetooth.

UPDATE: I owe JohnFleming an apology. I just installed MyPhoneExplorer on another computer, and it did indeed try to install a piece of crapware ("Adware MultiBundle.D") without any opt-out check box that I could see. Fortunately, AVG Free caught it and deleted the crapware, and MPE still installed properly. I am disappointed and a bit sorry I donated to the MPE author. But MPE still is the best Android sync and backup utility I have found.
    Last edited by plutchok; 2013-04-19 at 02:06. Reason: Correction

Lounger
    Thanks
    The Blackberry phones syn with Outlook with no problems. You can plug into computer and either sync both directions (handy if you have added appts etc to your calendar when away on your phone) or choose to sync just one direction and can choose just computer to phone or just phone to computer.

Been doing it now for almost 2 years with no problems. I had already checked and the new Blackberry 10's both operate the same as my Blackberry 9780.
    Last edited by LadyC; 2013-04-22 at 09:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi LadyC, thanks for this. Do you know if this includes categories, reminders, tasks with their prioritising and notes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast