New Lounger
    Thanks

Full drive encryption on Windows 8 with TrueCrypt?

I work with a group that requires full-drive encryption on users' computers as they are working in areas where electronic media can be confiscated & searched. For reasons I can't totally follow (I'm not a hardcore techie), BitLocker does not provide adequate protection so TrueCrypt has been adopted as the required encryption tool. Unfortunately, TrueCrypt has apparently not yet released an update that is compatible with Windows 8 (still listed as a future enhancement). However, I ran across a YouTube video today that demonstrates successful full-drive encryption on a Windows 8 machine.

Does anyone know whether full-drive encryption with TrueCrypt on Win 8 machines is, in fact, possible? If so, is it reliable? Any other info on when TrueCrypt might come out with Windows 8 support would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ability to encrypt Windows system partitions/drives on UEFI-based computers (GPT)
    From TrueCrypt's future plans page, a lot of Win 8 systems will come as UEFI-based computers on GPT disks. The one you see on YouTube is just encrypting a folder volume with its own file format, not the whole disk. If you aren't very familiar with the difference, probably best not using it at this time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have heard that TrueCrypt should work fine on computers that have been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Does that sound right?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably, however Windows 7 64-bit can be installed and run on GPT disks so to be certain one would have to determine if the disk is MBR or GPT in that situation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    ...a lot of Win 8 systems will come as UEFI-based computers on GPT disks.
    All OEM Windows 8 systems must be UEFI/GPT (Secure Boot doesn't work with MBR) with Secure Boot enabled by default, or they won't qualify for the "Windows 8" sticker from Microsoft.

RE: Posts #3 and #4, very few (if any) Windows 7 OEM installations would have been UEFI/GPT - most likely MBR, but Windows 7 64bit does indeed support UEFI/GPT.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-04-15 at 21:48.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows