Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    They are and we 2 may be the only common factors. You're getting a lot of, somewhat different, questions and suggestions on each, which is pretty useful for you - but not for the 2x sets of helpers, as we can't see what the others are asking or suggesting. The more forums are involved, the more time and effort is spent in duplicating the Q & A's.

Once in a while, or in a real emergency, that's fine.

What you need to do, as well - I forgot in my last post on the other site - is to block IE10 as soon as you uninstall it:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=36512

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok, gotcha. I will stick with one forum. Well, it turns out that IE 10 is not installed nor is the KB2670838. But I'm still back to where I was at. This has something to do with Windows updates but I don't know how to fix it. Would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks.

Thanks
    Ok, as there was some change for the good after the KB was first removed, let's assume that one or more of the graphics-related files installed by the KB/IE10 are still in the system, or were reinstalled. Let's try upgrading to IE10 (after undoing the block) and reinstalling - then, reversing the procedure once more but don't reboot unless you are prompted to.

If that doesn't fix it, the easiest route may be a wipe/reinstall, add the IE10 block first, update the Intel chipset and graphics drivers, test Aero and then run Windows Update.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, so I need to reinstall IE 10 and then remove the KB and uninstall IE 10? KB first and then IE 10, is that righrt?

Thanks
    Not quite, the KB is a pre-requisite (needs to be installed before IE10) so we reverse that to uninstall.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, but I'm a novice at this. How do I install just that particular KB update? Windows Update says I am up to date and it's not in the optional ones.

Thanks
    You need to undo the IE10 block first, then run Windows Update.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe you need to go to the windows update option in control panel and change the setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
    Uninstall the update mentioned. then check for updates and when it has finished finding them look in the list for the offending up date and right-click it and choose 'hide update' so it will not offer it again.
    This may stop it reinstalling the update every time you reboot.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok, so I installed IE10 and the KB from Windows Update and restarted like it told me to do. The Aero was back. I then uninstalled IE 10 and did not reboot and then uninstalled the KB and restarted and nothing had changed. I also verified that the KB was not installed. Selected the "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and hid the IE10 and KB updates. I still have no Aero.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carin4u View Post
    ... I installed IE10 and the KB from Windows Update and restarted like it told me to do. The Aero was back.
    Ok, now take it back to this point and test over several reboots.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No luck. Still the same and my IE is frozen - cannot do anything (I have IE 9 installed right now) but IE 10 was the same. Maybe if I could fix IE, the Aero would be fixed as well???

Thanks
    Hmm, it's looking like it's beyond me, perhaps it's time to call on Microsoft Support for this as it looks very likely that IE 10 or the KB have adversely affected your Windows install.

You could update the other Thread - ensure that you've tried all that's been offered there as well and update them on the results, someone there may have more to offer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you ever try a system restore to before all the troubles began? Go back to before the possibility of I.E. 10 and any updates being able to have an effect. Then if things were still wonky I would run a sfc /scannow on the OS partition (from command line). I would also block I.E. 10 and the offending update(s) from re-installing at that point if they are the suspects.

I think perhaps the suggestions so far, though sound, have been too specific unless that was exactly what was wrong. Time to give the PC 20 ccs of penicillin; no need to put it down just yet.

Thanks
    I had a similar problem last week, used the troubleshooter, and googled the error message. Luckily I found the solution quickly. Maybe this will help you also.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-8eb7420c02ef/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12