Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question on copying files

So I have used back up programs and I came across something where I have read way, way, way long ago about how to copy a file or folders. One way was to just copy the folder and then paste it to where you wanted it to go. The other way was to go in to Windows Explorer and do the same thing (if memory serves).

I have Windows XP machines and Windows 7 machines, is one way of copying better than the other in each O/S? I ask because I am seeing back up programs having this option so just wondering if it makes any difference or if it does, then I can set the proper setting.
    "Every Thing Changes but Change Itself"

[Core I7 920 DO][Asus P6T Deluxe v2][9GB Corsair memory][EVGA GTX 260 SC][1 x 256GB Crucial M4][750W Corsair PSU][Antec 900][Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit][3 x Dell U2410 @max. res.]

[Core I5 2500k][Asus P8P67 Pro (ver 3.1)][8GB Corsair memory][Asus ENGT430][1 x 90GB Corsair GT SSD][650W Corsair PSU][Thermaltake DH-202][Windows 7 Home, 64-bit][65" Panasonic Plasma T.V.]

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    When copying whole folders I use one of two methods:

1. Open two Explorer windows, In Win 7 hold down the Shift key while clicking on the folder icon on the task bar to open the 2nd folder. I then drag one window against the left side of the screen and the other to the right side until they show an outline then release. This will cause each to take up 1/2 the screen. then navigate to the folder to copy in the left hand window navigate to the loctation you want to copy it to in the right hand window. Now just drag the folder from left to right. If the left and right folders are on the same drive you need to Right-Click and drag which will give you the option to Copy or Move when released. If you just Left-Click drag it will move the folder!

2. Add the copy to folder and move to folder options to your Right-Click Menu. This is the one I use the most because it is the simplest. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swatbat2142 View Post
    So I have used back up programs and I came across something where I have read way, way, way long ago about how to copy a file or folders. One way was to just copy the folder and then paste it to where you wanted it to go.
    I have Windows XP machines and Windows 7 machines, is one way of copying better than the other in each O/S?
    "Swat",
    Hello...

1. If you have a "Pay For" 3rd party Imaging program like Acronis or Macrium Reflect ... you can Image specific file \ folders... .The advantage here is "Compression" ( you end up with a smaller File \ Folder that the original )

2. You can use a free program called "Tera Copy " for free ...It's faster transferring (copying) one HD to another than the "Plain Jane" Windows method...copy \ paste... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-04-17 at 17:44.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Doing a full C drive backup aside, (which I actually advise doing at least once a week) there is a very quick and easy way to just backup your data files. Call it a ONE CLICK backup, if you like.

Every version of MS OS since the DOS days, has come with a very efficient data backup program.
    You may have heard of it......it's called "XCOPY".

I use it almost every day, to back up my own data files, to a separate hard drive (or two).
    Once the initial backup is completed, which can take a while, subsequent backups usually only take a few seconds.

That's because, the subsequent (daily) backups only copy files that are new or have changed since the last backup.

Here is just one line from my own Daily Backup Batch File:

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Alexi\My Documents\*.*" "M:\My Documents\" /S /Y /H /R /D

If you were to use this command, in a batch file, on your own PC, you would only need to change the user name to your own, and the TO: drive letter to the drive you're using for backup on your own system.
    In my case drive M is a Toshiba, 1TB External hard drive.
    I also use a 32 gig Flash Drive, plugged into a rear USB port, more or less permanently, as a second backup media.

"The only bad backup, is the one you decided NOT to make".

Good Luck and Happy Computing!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Another method to do what the Good Doctor uses XCopy for is the, free from MS, RoboCopy program. I use this command:
    Robocopy "G:\Docs" "V:\Docs" /MIR /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /LOG:RoboCopy.log
    in a batch file
    Code:
    Echo Off
    REM  Updated: 10/27/10
    Echo.  -------- Copying Docs to V: drive -------
    Robocopy "G:\Docs" "V:\Docs" /MIR /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /LOG:RoboCopy.log 
    Echo.  -------- Copy Completed              -------
    and place a shortcut to the batch file on my personal toolbar so a backup of my data files takes exactly two mouse clicks. One nice feature of RoboCopyis that it writes a .log file to the directory where the batch file resides so you can check up on what was done.

Note: I've moved my documents folder off the C: drive thus the reference to G:\Docs.

Note: the above command synchronizes the two directory trees, i.e. if you erase a file it will remove it from the backup as well. You may or may not want this feature. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs