New Lounger
    Thanks

Collapsing Explorer command line

Is there a way to start Windows Explorer with the Network and the user section collapsed? Perhaps everything collapsed except Computer. I never browse anything in Network, there hundreds of computers listed there and there seems to be activity in that area which causes Explorer to expand and jump to it. To me it is very annoying.

thanks,

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

The following will collapse the user section in the navigation pane. The Network will still appear and expand as far as computers on the network. I do use the network, so I haven't gone any further with explorer.

If you have the explorer shortcut pinned on the taskbar, right-click the icon, and then right-click "Windows Explorer" in the popup and select Properties. This will display the shortcut properties. In the "Target" textbox in the Shortcut tab paste the following:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

and click Apply, then OK. This will open Explorer with the computer contents in the right pane, and the users section collapsed. As I said, the Network will expand as connected devices are discovered.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

LJB (2013-04-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, however it doesn't do much for me other than start explorer rooted to Computer. Any previously expanded sections are still expanded. I'm not sure what expands the User section but this GUID doesn't collapse it. Where do you discover these GUIDs? I saw several recently on Techrepublic, http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...uter-view/7550. The article was about Windows 8 but all seemed to work on 7 as well.

Thanks
    It collapses the user folder on mine. The GUID is actually for XP, but it works on my Windows 7. Did you copy and paste it in the "Target" textbox? I just double-checked my shortcut, and without the two ":", it ignores the GUID and expands the user folder. Put the "::" back in, and the user folder is closed.

Also, this "Target" only applies to the one shortcut where it is applied. My taskbar shortcut won't open the user folder, but if I use another Explorer shortcut (All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer) it does the default user folder expansion. I don't use that shortcut, so I haven't bothered to change the Target string.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try opening Windows Explorer, then click Tools, Folder Options. Under "Navigation Pane" is "Show all folders" checked off? Uncheck if it is.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, "Show all folders" unchecked seems to be what I want. The collapsed Users folder doesn't even show up in the list which is fine with me. The Network folder stays collapsed which is perfect. That one setting, turned off, even seems to make "%windir%\explorer.exe /n /r, c:\" work well.
    Last edited by LJB; 2013-04-19 at 12:01.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops, I thought everything was great, too soon. "Show all folders" unchecked makes the Desktop folder very difficult to find in Windows Explorer. I guess I'll go back to what I used to have. This setting affects file dialog boxes also. This morning I discovered I couldn't save a picture to my Desktop because of this setting.
    Last edited by LJB; 2013-04-23 at 12:48.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With "Show all folders" unchecked, the first thing that shows should be your favourites. Drag important folders, like the desktop, to the favourites area to create a link.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That works. Now I'm happy again.
    Thanks,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Set and Maintain Custom Explorer NavPane Collapsed/Expanded Directory Folder View

Quote Originally Posted by LJB View Post
    Is there a way to start Windows Explorer with the Network and the user section collapsed? Perhaps everything collapsed except Computer. I never browse anything in Network, there hundreds of computers listed there and there seems to be activity in that area which causes Explorer to expand and jump to it. To me it is very annoying.

thanks,
    I found a working answer at Microsoft's web site, hopefully cross-linking URLs is allowed but if removed from this forum let me know and I will detail it out here. Proper credit to the true problem-resolvers is contained at the destination link.

There is a registry key that captures the state of the open/close state of the main folders in the left explorer Nav-Pane, which can be set within the explorer left frame, explorer closed to set the reg key, then the reg key value manually turned to read-only. Now when you occasionally open those folders like Favorites or your User ID (or more problematic is many program's File / Open dialog settings will reopen your User folder), after turning regkey read-only, when explorer or application file dialog is closed, the NavPane expanded folders regkey is not re-written, remaining at your preferred expanded/collapsed state.

The Explorer left NavPane state information is stored in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Modules\NavPane. If you delete the ExpandedState registry value, the next time you open Explorer it will show the "default" tree state.

A user also wrote a text batch file (so you can review each line of code to see what it does) to allow you to set explorer as desired, then turn the NavPane state read-only to preserve the state indefinitely. The batch script also allows you to reset the functionality to default windows (turn regkey read/write) and so on.

This is the link to Microsoft site with all details and script file:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...osing-explorer

As an add-on functionality to the above, I include this info because the comma/space syntax is different for Win7 versus WinXP / other versions that is widely documented on web sites. This sytnax will open explorer to your preferred folder, separate from which folders are expanded / collapsed with the answer provided for the direct question of this thread, but usually directly related to the intent of opening explorer to your specific requirements.

Here are command line paramaters to further open Explorer to a preferred directory in Win7 32-bit Home Premium. Create a shortcut with this command line as the Target: C:\Windows\explorer.exe explorer /e /root,"C:\" /select,"C:\PreferredDataDir"

Replace C:\PreferredDataDir with of course your preferred directory, including just a reference to the root of C:\ or root of another drive letter if preferred over a subdirectory. The root option specified still allows access to E: drive etc, unlike the published intended effect of the option to limit movement only within the root specified, which may work on other versions of Windows.