2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP DV6 Win 7 BIOS warning

I just received and setup a new HP DV6 CTO (Nvidia hybrid graphics) running Win 7. HP Support Assistant installed BIOS version F.24 as I was installing all outstanding updates. A day later, when I rebooted, I got a BSOD early in the boot process. Not much on the screen except that the BIOS was not compatible with the OS.

It seems that this BIOS is built to behave very differently under Win 7 versus Win 8. That's fine, and it may work fine under Win 8, but it is NOT compatible on Win 7. I did a rollback to the 'installed' BIOS, F.02, and am waiting to hear back from HP on which version of several ought to be compatible.

Also, I found that coretemp was reporting very weird temperature numbers under F.24, something that was corrected when I went back to F.02.

The real oddity - I've no idea how I was able to boot after F.24 was originally installed.

In the meantime, if you are running a HP DV6 under Win 7 and are offered F.24 bios updates, DO NOT go with it. If you have, consider rolling back.

Have any of you encountered this before?

Thanks
    You have just demonstrated why its not a good idea to update BIOS unless you are having a specific problem that's listed in the BIOS version fixes. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is an important point. In this case, I went through the list of updates. One was to allow Win 8, but the others all fixed serious issues with errors, memory problems and the like. Unfortunately, this one created a huge new problem.

The curious part; after installation in Windows, the system rebooted, actually flashed, rebooted and came up normally. It was on the next reboot a day or so later that the BSOD's happened. The other is how coretemp reported weird temp numbers.

I have asked HP to let me know which bios update is safe to install. I'm sure the rep was not happy about that! :-)