New Lounger
    Thanks

unviewable videos

Don't know whether this is the proper forum, but----- A few weeks ago I went through my installed programs list and uninstalled
    a few, don't recall exactly which ones. Now, I cannot view videos that are sent me from certain sites, i.e. Fllixxy, Kim Komando, and Coolestone.
    However, youtube is no problem, nor are the various Yahoo news items which contain videos. Is there a way to determine what software is
    required to view a given video? Flixxy says no, can't seem to contact the others.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In any case I would go directly to the source of the video and try playing them there to help determine exactly where the problem lies. If they play when directly clicked on, then you'll know there is something amiss in the way or form of the videos sent to you. Is this a website subscription or friends sending you links to videos? Flixxy looks like ordinary flash to me so it should play in Chrome browser just as easily as YouTube.

Thanks
    Hi Buckster,
    WSL.JPG

My player of choice is http://mpc-hc.org/ if it can't play it post back.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    I like viewing things on my computer, using the Windows Media Player.
    I always hated having a different player installed for every type of media.

My friend and Software Guru introduced my to the "K-Lite Codec Pack" and I was able to uninstall all the various players I'd had before that.

Now I keep my K-Lite Codecs updated regularly, and I play everything with Media Player.

Life is so much easier, when you have one player that will play everything.

There is a different version of the K-Lite Codecs, for each version of OS. XP, Vista, Win-7 and Win-8.

Just a thought!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Hi DrWho,
    when I used WM Player & K Lite, it would not play 'Flac' files. I know their is a plug-in but it was hard to find.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    What can I say? I do play those files on my PC, using Windows Media Player.
    It is, however, important to keep your K-Lite Codec pack up to date. I get updates to mine, at least once a month from File Hippo, via their updates newsletter, that comes in my email.

You may also have to go into your file manager and file associations and specify WMP as the correct program to play those files.

I just do whatever is necessary, to avoid having to install multiple Players on my PC to play different types of media files.

It really ticks me off, when I go to an internet site to see something and they want to download some special 'Player' into my PC.
    90% of the time, those special players come laced with either Spyware or Trojans. I really get sick of that CRAP!

On Windows 8, which does not play DVD's, I've taken the suggestion of other users, and installed VLC Player to handle the DVD's.
    Again, that's something that needs to be kept up to date.

Cheers Mates!
    Happy Computing!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!