New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing data from Excel to Word via Mail Merge

I exported data from my database program to an excel sheet. All was in order. So I opened MS Word (2010) to create a directory via Mail Merge to upload the data contained in my Excel doc. But I discovered that some of my rows of data were skipped randomly from Excel to Word. What causes this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Was there data in every field in every record? Did you select all records in the merge wizard?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Are you applying any kind of filtering to the merge? Do you have any SkipIf or NextRecord fields in the mailmerge main document?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was starting with a merge of fresh data, and used a template from last year's document. Andrew, I did select all records, yes. Paul you have given me clues to follow but I do not know how to identify if there is indeed filtering such as "skip". I probably did set something up in an attempt to get the info into my final document correctly, but I do not know what as that was a year ago. I've slept since then. I guess that means I need to start over with a freshly designed template?
    Thank you!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I see one question I missed, Andrew no, there was not data in every field of every record. But as I examined the missing data entries, I could not identify a pattern that would clue me in to what would cause the skipped records.
    Michelle

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Michelle,

Filtering is controls via the 'Edit Recipient List' button. First, confirm that all records are checked. Then click on 'Filter' and see whether any filtering rules have been applied.

If you had used SkipIf or NextRecord fields, you'd be able to seem them in the mailmerge main document, as «Skip Record If...» and «Next Record».
    Last edited by macropod; 2013-04-23 at 14:23. Reason: typo
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    «Last_Name», «Primary_Contact» and «Spouse»
    «AddressBlock»
    «Family_Children»
    «Contact_Phone_Number»
    «Home_Phone_Number»
    «Mobile_Phone_Number»
    «Email_Family_Primary_Contact»

«Next Record»

These are the parameters I have setup for my directory document. I thought I had included an instruction to skip the family names line if none existed. But I do not see that listed in the template. Cant find evidence of it but suspect that is where my error lies, even though there is not a pattern of skipped info that would indicate it.
    Michelle

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you're doing a directory/catalogue or letter merge, you shouldn't have the «Next Record» field. Having that will cause the merge to skip every 2nd record.
    I thought I had included an instruction to skip the family names line if none existed.
    Since you don't have a «Skip Record If...» field, that would have been applied via the filtering mentioned in my previous post.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]