Lurker
    Thanks

Problems Restoring from Ext HD after Major System Repair

I've got a Sony VPCZ11FHX/XQ notebook computer that has had a history of overheating. It would run fine for a while, then shut itself off. Very annoying. A couple of years ago (late May 2010) I had it repaired. It worked fine for a long time, but started dying these past months. So I decided to get it fixed while under warranty one last time. It came with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I decided to copy a system image onto an external HD (Western Digital) that I have for that purpose, using the built in W64 software. Then I boxed it up and shipped it off to be repaired.

The last time it came back with no changes in my installed software (Adobe Acrobat, Premiere 8 Elements, Photoshop 8 Elements, thousands of photos, Mozilla (I don't remember the version in affect at the time)), but some changes to the BIOS. This time the techs were very much in a hurry, and it came back with a bare bones installation. No problem - I would just restore my image from the external HD using the W64 repair disk I made just before shipping it back. Alas, that was not to be. After some fun, it threw the error message: 0x80042407, and wouldn't restore the image because the ext HD is bigger than the disks on the notebook (1T which isn't all used for the image vs the 400G+ available on the notebook). At least that's what I think is happening.

What can I do? I'll buy programs if I have too, but without that Image I'm kind of stuck. There are passwords, site addresses, a version of Office I can't use, and programs that would take weeks to reinstall. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help. - Gaines

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Can you post the exact error message you are getting?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gainescthree View Post

What can I do? I'll buy programs if I have too, but without that Image I'm kind of stuck. There are passwords, site addresses, a version of Office I can't use, and programs that would take weeks to reinstall. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help. - Gaines
    Gaines,
    Hello... Sounds like you have answered the question yourself .. The Image on the WD is larger than the notebook ...so no go.. The Imaging software that I'm familiar with Acronis 2010 and Macrium Reflect Pro ...can do what your asking (Larger HD to smaller or the other way around etc. ) I think i would try to place (Recover) the Image on another PC that has the same size HD ( or acquire another 1TB HD)...Then using a 3rd party Imaging program ...You could Re-Image , and then restore to the smaller ( Using the Recovery disk from the new Imaging software to boot into your notebook)

One other thought ... If the WD 1TB could possibly be partitioned to the same size or smaller than your notebook ( the bit that has your Image on it )...it might work ... But this would be risky at best .. Regards Fred

PS: Although i have the Pro Version ( Pay For ) the Free Version works Macrium Reflect Free
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    TeraByte's BootIt Bare Metal can shrink the partition on which your image resides to match the size of your target hard drive. I've used BootIt with great success and no failures for a number of years (started with BootIt Next Generation, then upgraded to BootIt Bare Metal). As a precaution, it's a good idea to make a copy of your image to another drive before resizing.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Seems a bit puzzling to me that the image would be a different size, unless the disk has been replaced and the disk size is now different.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Seems a bit puzzling to me that the image would be a different size, unless the disk has been replaced and the disk size is now different.
    rui,
    It's not the "Image" but the partition size.. Not being familiar with the "imbedded software" that is included with the WD HD ( that i have no confidence in)...It may be that the image is like a clone.. (sees the 1TB as one partition \Image)and now tries to restore to a smaller HD. and can't because of the smaller size ...However, the two programs that i mentioned can restore to (Image \ Clone ) larger to smaller or the other way around. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    rui,
    It's not the "Image" but the partition size.. Not being familiar with the "imbedded software" that is included with the WD HD ( that i have no confidence in)...It may be that the image is like a clone.. (sees the 1TB as one partition \Image)and now tries to restore to a smaller HD. and can't because of the smaller size ...However, the two programs that i mentioned can restore to (Image \ Clone ) larger to smaller or the other way around. Regards Fred
    It's possible, that is the case, Fred. Never really liked the Windows native backup software, either.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4