Thanks

Using Office 365

My brother bought a laptop, with Windows 8. The laptop has no productivity software on it, at least that is what he told me. I haven't seen the laptop.
    His problem he says is that when he gets documents etc. he cannot open them. He is using <shudder> Gmail as his email account. I showed him how SkyDrive worked and he liked that. I also talked to him about Office 365. My question about Office 365 is:
    Beings that there is no productivity software on his laptop, will he be able to open an Office document attachment from his email, or will he have to download somewhere first, like SkyDrive, then open it?

Thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think he'll have to upload it to SkyDrive first.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If he subscribes to Office 365 Home Premium, he gets rights to install the Office desktop applications on 5 PCs/Macs. See Office 365 Home Premium for more information. The install is surpisingly quick.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks guys!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Don't buy "Productivity" software just to VIEW documents.

John,
    If your brother just wants to view and print office documents, but not create or edit them, he can download the respective viewers.
    The following M/S link explains the Word viewer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ails.aspx?id=4
    There are similar viewers for Excel and Powerpoint. Note that the Word viewer opens Word 2003 versions and earlier. The Compatibility Pack must be added to allow Word Viewer to view and print Word 2007 and later DOCX versions.

While Office 365 will certainly solve the problem, there's no point in buying "productivity" software if your brother has no interest in "producing" documents. With the viewers, viewing and printing are FREE.

~RonR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like Microsoft's O365 offerings (Exchange/Lync/SharePoint) etc. But to throw a log on the fire..

How about Open Office with Google Docs? It supports import/import of docs to and from Google Docs/Drive. Free solution, always try to use the best tool for the job.

Example: I googled this link >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...cQw/edit?pli=1

http://www.openoffice.org/
    Last edited by JDB1984; 2013-06-19 at 01:15.