Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

ZoneAlarm free installation

I have been using ZoneAlarm free for a long time now. Today I got a popup window to tell me that I an using an old version which is no longer supported, and need to upgrade. I'm currently using version 11.0.000.020, so I downloaded the latest version which turns out to be 11.0.000.504, which to my mind is a very minor upgrade. Certainly not so major that the current version should no longer be supported!

When I went to install it the only option is to do a Quick Install with default settings, no chance of a custom install. So biting the bullet I select the Quick Install button to then get the License Agreement, which contains two check boxes to set ZoneAlarm Search as my default search provider and as my home page. I want neither, so click on the Agree button. This gives another popup which states 'To enable "Agree" please check the two boxes'. Talk about forcing users in to doing things their way! I cancelled the installation.

Now I know I can undo these changes later if I go ahead with the install, but I strongly object to having any and all options taken away from me.

Thanks
    Bob,

IMHO it's time to go elsewhere for your firewall. Comodo perhaps?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm beginning to think the same thing

Thanks
    If you want to stick with Zonealarm, you might try uninstalling the current version before installing the new one.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bob,

IMHO it's time to go elsewhere for your firewall. Comodo perhaps?
    Based on this thread, does anyone really NEED a special firewall? I once was VERY paranoid about this. After I went to Windows 7 Pro, I happily use the built-in firewall.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks
    I haven't used one (other that the router hardware firewall) happily for years and I don't install them on my clients PCs. But you will find varying opinions on this. A lot of people don't feel safe without one. To each his own.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post
    Based on this thread, does anyone really NEED a special firewall? I once was VERY paranoid about this. After I went to Windows 7 Pro, I happily use the built-in firewall.
    It's just another option. Many 3rd party firewalls (e.g., NIS, Comodo, Online Armor, ZA) are HIPS, so they provide a lot more security features than a simple network firewall. To me, they provide another security layer and that's why I do not run any system of my own without one.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This also happened to me yesterday. ON the first screen there is a very small box available to check and this takes care of the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FRIDGES - thanks for that tip, it got me looking harder. With my installation, on the second screen (the one with the check boxes for ZoneAlarm Search) there is "Skip all offers" (no check box) in light blue on a dark blue background. Not very easy to notice! But it is a link to continue the installation without installing all the garbage. Worked like a charm, finally.
    I think I need new glasses <LOL>
    Last edited by BiggerBob101; 2013-04-29 at 01:22.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used to use Zone Alarm some years ago on an older 'home-brew' XP Pro computer but I found there were many clashes with other anti-malware programs. The later versions may be better but I went to Ad-Aware (paid) - no problems yet.
    Last edited by Poltor; 2013-04-25 at 05:15. Reason: spelling correction

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i had no problems like that with zone alarm
    but i did have issues with ad aware

the ms firewall is good enough with mbam and mse etc in place

i would use zone alarm but there were other issues
    like concern the mossad was using it to access our pcs
    and some incompleteness in shutting down holes in/out of the pc
    maybe the paid version fixed that access issue

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some people just like the firewall to control outbound traffic, stop applications sending info to places they're not sure of. I don't think the firewall in Windows 7 allows that. But as was said, if ZA continues this underhanded way of getting it's settings in place, maybe it's time to change firewalls.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same here. I looked all over both screens and saw nothing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    jman037 - As I said - "Skip all offers (no check box) in light blue on a dark blue background. Not very easy to notice!"
    I actually looked at that screen on a number of occasions before noticing that option, blue on blue is a good way to hide stuff <G>

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I stopped using ZoneAlarm with this 'new update. It seems whenever there's an update and I install, it always stops with an error. This has been going on for what seems forever. I just did a clean Windows install and don't know if I'll install ZA again. The only thing I like about it is the ease of allowing or denying programs both in and out. And your automatically Stealth until you allow. If I use again I will image my 2 drive system before I play with ZA again.

Programs can be denied net access with Windows firewall but it's not a one click process.
    1. From Control Panel open Windows Firewall
    2. Click Advanced Settings (left section)
    3. Click Outbound Rules (left section)
    4. On the right side click New Rule
    A screen will pop up, select the program and it's done.

I believe there are 1 or 2 third party lightweight apps that work with windows firewall to make things better and easier.

It's not the best firewall, your not automatically invisible (stealth) which could lead to possible danger. But so far it's working with no ill effect and it's just so nice not loading an additional firewall which I've done since XP. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by hkb; 2013-05-02 at 01:28.
    . hkb
    q8:{ }8p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast