2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Secunia PSI flags Acrobat Standard 9: security risk?

Secunia PSI has flagged Acrobat Standard 9 (actually it's version 9.5.4) as needing updating. Acrobat just gives me a message that no update is available, but Secunia tells me "This program is no longer supported by the supplier." It would be a $139 upgrade for a program that already gives me all the functionality I need in terms of my day to day work.

So my question is whether Acrobat might actually be a security risk, as I understand an out of date free Adobe Reader would be, or whether I can safely tell Secunia to ignore Acrobat Standard.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Erik,

Unless there is some portion of Acrobat, except the Reader, that interacts with the internet I think you'd be safe telling PSI to ignore it. HTH

P.S. I don't have Acrobat thus the hedging in my answer.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Erik47 (2013-04-20)

Thanks
    I used to run into this problem when Secunia finds a leftover dll or other control file from a previous install. I got tired of the false positives and quit using Secunia.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does PSI mark it as end of life or does it state there is a security issue with it?
    If the former, I never care about it, I just tell it to stop giving me warnings about the app.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it either. PSI flags my Adobe CS2 suite as needing update. (Big $) I'm also running Acrobat 7 Pro fine on Windows 7 (the printer won't install in a 64 bit environment but no prob- there are others free). There's quite a few such programs that MS lists as compatible on Windows 7 but PSI will flag as end of life or needing update. It just means there is an update to the software. I know that and have the current version updates.

I just ignore those and focus on the key web-accessing tools like Flash. I also don't let PSI run all the time.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW - I also have the much faster Foxit Reader software installed for reading PDF's. I only use full Acrobat for editing. As such it also doesn't have any browser associations so if there is a web issue, it's not going to be triggered.