3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP shuts down on startup

Just recently my wife's HP Mini Notebook (XP SP3 all updated) has developed a curious quirk. When booting after a seemingly normal shut down a splash screen appears, "Windows is shutting down." And it does. Next time she re-boots there's no problem. It would seem that although Windows seems to shut down something hangs so that it doesn't actually shut down. I looked at Dr Watson log, the last entry was a Flash Player update way back last July.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, will try that.

David

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    Just recently my wife's HP Mini Notebook (XP SP3 all updated) has developed a curious quirk. When booting after a seemingly normal shut down a splash screen appears, "Windows is shutting down." And it does. Next time she re-boots there's no problem. It would seem that although Windows seems to shut down something hangs so that it doesn't actually shut down. I looked at Dr Watson log, the last entry was a Flash Player update way back last July.

Any suggestions?
    David,
    Hello.... These kind of problems require a process of elimination ... If Jerry's suggestion doesn't provide a solution ..I would also try (based on your post) a few things as well...

1. If you can boot up as an "Administrator" or create a Administrator account.

2. Go to Start>Run and input "msconfig" ( no quotes)

3. see screen shot ...click on "Services" and then "Hide All MS Services"

4. This will show all the things that might be causing problems when loading ...Click on "Disable All"

5. OK out and ( ignore message ) and Re-Boot

6. If this fixes the problem ...Repeat above and start adding back some of the programs that you disabled to see which one it is ..

7. If this does not work post back for another step Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The RAM test found no problems, will remember that test for another time. Thanks.

Have disabled assorted services, will see how things progress but it could take time as this doesn't happen on every shut down.

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't want to hijack OP's thread - but I sometimes have this same problem.

The only way I can get it to not just shut down is to quickly open something before it has totally finished starting up. Then after that, I can restart it & NOT have it shut down on it's own.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If there is a System Restore restore point available that predates the problem, try restoring it.

Windows XP: How to Troubleshoot and Fix Shutdown, Restart/Reboot, Reboot and General PC Startup Problems -

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Windo...p-Problems.htm

Thanks
    Don't rule out running sfc /scannow. Shutdown is a Windows service, after all.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I would want to ask, "how are you doing that seemingly normal shutdown?"

Maybe it's not really being shut down at all, but just sleeping, hibernating, etc.

At least that's what it sounds like.

Try this:
    Create a new desktop Shortcut, using the following text.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

Just copy and paste that line into a New desktop shortcut and use that shortcut the next time you shut down that PC.
    That works for XP but not for 7 or 8.

I've been setting up a Quick Shutdown icon on the desktop for my customers, since way back in the Windows 98 days and all my customers find it quick, easy and efficient. Give it a try!

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!