Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If they are pics like that then you can either set them side by side or paragraph it and place it below.

There's a Hotfix for that error if the conditions apply http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938928 but if you have other BSODs with different error messages, then follow the instructions in the following link and no doubt Satrow will pick it up as he has already contributed to this thread, unless you want to open a new thread for the BSODs.

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod...ows-vista.html

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

rstew (2014-06-13),satrow (2014-06-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked the link to the hotfix, thanks. It says this happens when there is more than one TV tuner installed. That seems kind of odd, since I have not added another TV tuner.
    All I did was switch from a Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU to a Core 2 Quad Q6600.
    The unit does have a plug in PCI TV tuner card, but its always been there. I don't use it anyway; don't watch TV on the computer.

I have tried attaching pix of the BSOD error message, but the files exceed 1.95 mb, so they won't attach.
    I also tried attaching the mini dump files, but the file type is not recognized. I have nothing to open these files, so I can't even tell what they contain.

The BSOD's are pretty repeatable; about every 5-1/2 hours, no matter whether the computer is active or just standing by.
    When it is active I start to notice the screen whites out suddenly, then comes back after a few seconds.
    I also notice that several of the desktop icons stop working, or take a long time to activate.
    Then after a few more minutes, the screen goes to BSOD, and shows numbers being dumped to a file. It won't pause so you can digest it at all.
    Then it goes black and starts a full re-boot. It starts up pretty normally, except it takes quite a while for the tool tray icons to show up. Otherwise normal, and then it operates just fine for another 5 hours or so.
    Anyone got any ideas what is going on? I am at a loss.
    I don't think its an overheated CPU situation. I loaded Realtemp 3.7 and it shows the core temps ranging from lows in the mid-50's, to a high of maybe 94C.
    The cpu fan kicks in and starts ramping up by the mid-80's. The max temp allowed is 100 C, which I assume is correct for the Q6600.
    When I run passmark, the temps climb to about 94C; and the fan is running at maybe half speed. Core 0 is always the hottest of the 4 cores.

If someone could email me, I could send the BSOD screen pix, and the mini-dump files.

Thanks,
    rstew
    Last edited by rstew; 2014-06-15 at 17:21.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It would be best if you removed your e-mail address so that you don't get bombed out - this is a public forum for all to view.

Satrow has acknowledged he's aware prior to your last post but you may need to wait until after the weekend for further BSOD assistance as today is Father's day and there are family commitments.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-06-15 at 17:17.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It would be best if you removed your e-mail address so that you don't get bombed out - this is a public forum for all to view.

Satrow has acknowledged he's aware prior to your last post but you may need to wait until after the weekend for further BSOD assistance as today is Father's day and there are family commitments.
    OK thanks, done.
    Yes we are busy with Father's day as well. All is good.

rstew

Thanks
    Using either Blue Screen View, or digging around the event viewer will yield the exact BSOD error so that you may post it here.

Remove the TV tuner card too, why have something like that installed if you're never going to use it.
    Make certain that your chipset drivers are up-to-date as well. These are commonly neglected driver updates that are important.
    I don't think its an overheated CPU situation. I loaded Realtemp 3.7 and it shows the core temps ranging from lows in the mid-50's, to a high of maybe 94C. The cpu fan kicks in and starts ramping up by the mid-80's. The max temp allowed is 100 C, which I assume is correct for the Q6600
    TCASE B3=62.2°C; G0=71°C

Those ARE high temps (degrees Celsius), at least in my book they are. (Even for the G0) Expect CPU throttling.
    Something is wrong if you are idling in the 50s. Those are temps (above) that I would expect with overclocking.
    If you are using a stock Intel cooler consider a change. You've upgraded to a far more potent CPU than the E3300, overall cooling has to be a consideration.

You will also need to check your motherboard's (DG965OT) Southbridge temps. I've owned that board before, along with the Q6600, and I can tell you first hand that the Southbridge does run hot. (it's normally unusual for a Southbridge to run hot)

The DG965OT and the Q6600 are of questionable compatibility on paper, but reality is a bit different, it's borderline.
    If it's put together in a SFF case you can expect serious issues with cooling. (been there, done that)

Make certain your BIOS is at least 1713, latest is 1754.

If someone could email me, I could send the BSOD screen pix, and the mini-dump files.
    Resize your screen pic a bit with Paint or some other graphics app and post your BSOD. Just make sure your new size is legible.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-06-18 at 09:37.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint;
    All great info.
    I loaded blue screen viewer, and the offending driver is; IntelDH.sys
    Caused By Address: Address IntelDH.sys+58e
    File Description: Intel(R) software driver for Intel(R) Viiv(TM) technology
    Crash Address: ntkrnlpa.exe+4decd
    Does this help?

I note your comments about the temps.
    I believe that Realtemp reports junction temps; the 100 C max is referred to as TjMax; whereas the TCase is the outer case, right?
    The cooler is the original that came with the computer. Its an AVC B6521NC; 4 wire harness.
    I can't find any info about it but the original E3300 processor is rated for 65 watts THD, same as the Q6600, so I figured it would be up to the task.
    None of the restarts have shown any kind of overheat event.

I note your comments about the hot southbridge chip when used with the Q6600.
    What is the SFF case that you refer to?

"Make certain your BIOS is at least 1713, latest is 1754" These are Intel bios versions, right?
    My DG965OT is a Gateway OEM board (made by Intel), but uses specific Gateway bios.
    I read elsewhere that if you install the Intel standard bios, it likely will not run at all. Others have done this.
    My bios version is MQ96510J.15A.0307.2006.1214.1911
    There is a newer version MQ96510J.15A.0386 available, but I don't want to try installing it in case I mess it up, or it doesn't work for some reason.

Thanks for all the info so far. Any further ideas or suggestions will be most appreciated.

rstew

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the blue screen view of the crash file.
    Finally got one small enough to attach!

rstew

IMG_0538.JPG

Thanks
    I note your comments about the hot southbridge chip when used with the Q6600.
    What is the SFF case that you refer to?
    Small Form Factor (SFF) case.
    In other words, small cases with poor overall cooling capabilities.

"Make certain your BIOS is at least 1713, latest is 1754" These are Intel bios versions, right?
    My DG965OT is a Gateway OEM board (made by Intel), but uses specific Gateway bios.
    I read elsewhere that if you install the Intel standard bios, it likely will not run at all. Others have done this.
    My bios version is MQ96510J.15A.0307.2006.1214.1911
    OK, sounds reasonable.

I loaded blue screen viewer, and the offending driver is; IntelDH.sys
    Caused By Address: Address IntelDH.sys+58e
    File Description: Intel(R) software driver for Intel(R) Viiv(TM) technology
    Crash Address: ntkrnlpa.exe+4decd
    Does this help?
    Try reinstalling your chipset drivers, the latest ones.

Intel(R) software driver for Intel(R) Viiv(TM) technology
    Uninstall the above and remove the TV tuner card.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Intel(R) software driver for Intel(R) Viiv(TM) technology
    Uninstall the above and remove the TV tuner card. "

I am not sure where to go to kill this. I tried to stop it in Task Manager>Processes; but it still looks to be alternately running/stopped in the services window.
    How do I kill it permanently?

rstew

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, got it.
    I went into uninstall programs and killed it there. All traces seem to have vanished.
    Time will tell if that cures it, but I am hopeful.
    Thanks to all for the help.

rstew

Thanks
    Keep a close eye on those temps, they may, or may not be a factor in the crash, but it's
    definately something that's going to shorten the life of the system, that includes temps on the southbridge too.

The BSOD and the intel driver issue could be causing that media center error message you displayed earlier too.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint and others for all the help! This is indeed a great site, very informed folks here.
    I plan to give it a good long run today and hope that things are stable.
    The RealTemp monitor includes a utility that does a full load CPU test which tapers off over 10 minutes, so you can watch individual core temps as the load decreases. I hope to give it a try today.

The best,
    rstew

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well she is operating just great after all this.
    Almost 12 hours today; and not a whimper. No BSOD craziness.
    That "Intel(R) Viiv(TM) driver sure seems like it was the culprit.
    Now my core temps seem to run around 45-50 C when idling, and up into the 70's and 80's when she is working.
    The core activity graphs in task manager run very smooth and low mostly now, instead of all kinds of random spikes every few seconds like before. Standby CPU activity runs around 1-4%.
    All in all very pleased.
    Thanks so much to all on this forum!

rstew

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    rstew,

This is still VERY hot.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2014-06-18 at 10:55.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    rstew,

This is sill VERY hot.

Zig
    Remember, these are core temps, NOT case temps!

rstew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast