3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update files Location

I cannot find where Win 7 stores its update files and folders. Can anyone point me to the location (?windows\system\??) and let me know what is safe to delete if I do not need uninstall patches?
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Go to "control panel > programs and features / view installed updates". This will list all the updates that have been installed or failed. If needed you can right click on any update and choose 'uninstall'. But often windows will just offer the update again unless you choose to hide it in windows update list.
    But if you are not having any problems it is better to leave them installed as often they are for security reasons and fixes for older programs etc.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpollock View Post
    I cannot find where Win 7 stores its update files and folders. Can anyone point me to the location (?windows\system\??) and let me know what is safe to delete if I do not need uninstall patches?
    Many (if not most) are in Windows\WinSxS. I advise against messing with anything at all in that folder. To uninstall an update, just use Control Panel > Programs and Features, click on "View installed updates" in the left pane, then scroll through the list of installed updates. Select the one you want to uninstall, (left click it) and "Uninstall" will appear in the header. Click on "Uninstall", and the update will be uninstalled.

To cleanup other update and system related junk, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click on Disk Cleanup. You'll be asked to choose the disk you want to clean, select C:, it will do an inventory and then another box will popup with some checkboxes for things to cleanup. On the lower left will be a button named "Clean up system files". After you've made your other selections, click that button before you click on OK. This thread in the Windows 8 forum has lots of related information, most of which also applies to Windows 7.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-04-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking of the "$Uninstall..$" and "KB . . ." files I knew in Win XP, which were no more use once the patch was uninstalled. I just do not want to waste disk space on these if am keeping the patches? Maybe it is not a problem, but at least I would like to know where these files are an how much space they teke up?
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpollock View Post
    I was thinking of the "$Uninstall..$" and "KB . . ." files I knew in Win XP, which were no more use once the patch was uninstalled. I just do not want to waste disk space on these if am keeping the patches? Maybe it is not a problem, but at least I would like to know where these files are an how much space they teke up?
    Post #3. This thread has much more information.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows