Thanks

The problem is not the problem...

I've added another quotation to my signature line, from Captain Jack Sparrow. I've been replacing a failing hard drive in my desktop PC, restoring image files, using robocopy on some stuff, etc. I've made it much more difficult than need be by my being unable to see the forest for the trees in a couple of what should be routine procedures.

As the drive in question has 2 primary partitions and 5 logical drives, naturally it skewed my drive letters when I was using robocopy, but I was expecting that and sorted it out easily enough. But once I had the drive in place, I started getting boot failures. The solution was a simple registry fix, but I was totally focused on hardware and cables and connectors and all sorts of other things that were not in any way involved in the boot failures.

Which brought to mind the quote from Captain Jack: "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" I didn't then, but I do now.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    "2 primary partitions and 5 logical drives". What were you thinking?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    "More means better"?
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    "2 primary partitions and 5 logical drives". What were you thinking?

cheers, Paul
    I'll readily agree that it doesn't make sense to most people, but it serves me quite well. I have 3 1TB drives on my desktop and a total of 22 partitions/logical drives (a couple are hidden). It is an organizational system that suits my drive imaging routine quite handily.

Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    "More means better"?
    It means better organization (for me, anyway). I dual boot Windows 7/8, and Windows 7 is divided into 3 partitions - OS, Users/ProgramData, and Program Files. Windows 8 is on two, and I'm working on 3 for it as well. I don't use libraries. "Music" is a partition. "Pictures" is a partition. "Files" (downloads) is a partition. And there are several more.

The 3 1TB drives give me 2.79TiB capacity (converting from decimal to binary), and I have 1.15 TiB free space available. 1.64 TiB of 1's and 0's needs some organization in order to be able to find things, and all of that doesn't need to be included in a drive image every couple of days. And yes, I do have "current" drive images for all. I'll also readily admit that some of it is outdated, and I'm slowly clearing out stuff that I know I will never be able to use again, but I'm not in a big rush for that. I move that sort of stuff to my "Archive" partition, and from there I'll eventually delete it.

So yes, more is better, at least for me.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now I understand why you are a Super Moderator!
    BTW: Terabytes Image For Windows working out well for me.

Rich

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    BTW: Terabytes Image For Windows working out well for me.

Rich
    TeraByte released V2.81 April 19. The upgrade is free, all you need is your original order number. If you don't have it available, they'll send it to you.

--- edit--- Version 2.82a made available on June 10, 2013. Same rules apply; it's a free upgrade for current owners.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-08-04 at 08:28. Reason: new information

Unleash Windows