New Lounger
    Thanks

Control my computer using modem from received call and DTMF

I would like to call my home from outside and have my computer use DTMF to run scripts.

Can you gentle folks in the community give me some suggestions for freeware to do this?

Ideally, I would like to have an external answering machine that a non-nerd can deal with, and have my computer "snoop" the line and act according to DTMF signals.

or,

my computer can answer the line and act like an answering machine, then be able to receive DTMF codes and run various scripts depending on the code.

I am old at computers, but new at trying this. I don't know a lot of the terminology so am finding it difficult to search.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    AFAIK there is no way to do this. Your computer can answer the phone via a modem, but that is usually only for receiving faxes. To do what you want you need to tell the modem to maintain a connection. There have been modem answering machines which listen to the call, but I don't know if there is software which then allows you to interact with the OS, not to mention the security issues associated.

cheers, Paul