Thanks

Sound fading in and out

I don't know if I have a hardware or a software problem with this one. I'll try software first.

This morning I noticed that DVD discs that I placed into my drive were having sound problems. They contained mp4 files that I had recorded on them.The visual part was fine, but the sound was fading in and out continuously. Previously these discs played without trouble, I think, or at least I don't remember previous problems. So what can this be? What I don't need is yet another computer problem, but there it is.

I did try and change the programs that ran the files. Firstly I used Easy Media Player. The sound came out great, but there was no picture. I tried Windows Media Player. It didn't want to know the files at all. I am currently using Media Player Lite. It plays the visual part fine, but the sound cuts in and out.

Could it be driver problems? If it is, then I don't know how to rectify those.

Can someone please come up with some possible causes and solutions?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Ibex; 2013-04-22 at 16:32.
    The key to wisdom is knowing all the right questions.

John A. Simone, Sr.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Try using VLC (Sourceforge.net). It plays almost anything.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems to me to most likely be a problem with the individual files on your disk.

Can you try those same MP4 files on another machine? If so, do they work correctly on the other machine?

Yes-> Files are fine, proceed.
    No-> Your files are encoded wrong, try to re-create the files with proper encoding settings.

Files are fine on another machine? Great!

You mentioned Easy Media Player... I'm not familiar with that one unfortunately.

I also suggest trying VLC Player. It doesn't require installing any encoders/decoders, as they are hard-coded into the program. In your specific scenario, this type of a player is required for further troubleshooting.

If the files play in VLC fine, then you most likely have a decoder issue on your machine. (I'm not an expert, but my experience is what I'm drawing from here.)

You said the files are MP4. Do you have iTunes installed on your machine?

What software did you use to create the files in the first place?

Can you create a new MP4 file with the same settings and test that one out?

The problem could be a 'rare issue' that occurred from the content of the files, but I highly doubt it.
    (High motion content in low motion container... Higher bitrate stream within lower bitrate container)

VLC Player will give you error messages if any of those 'rare' scenarios occur.

If everything else works as expected except for a handful of MP4 files on ONE SPECIFIC disk... Murphy says it must be a problem with the disk itself, or the settings used when that specific set of files were created...

Hope I helped!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben09880 For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-03),IGotItHereSomewhere (2013-05-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try cleaning the disk and the laser pickup.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mpioso For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-03)

Thanks
    Sorry for my late response. Thanks for your replies, Ben09880 and mpioso. I assumed it to be a driver problem as my first attempt at eliminating this puzzle. A day or so after posting this, I scanned the Net for what I could possibly do. In desperation, I bought program for $20.00 that scanned your computer, then searched the Net for the latest drivers. Admittedly I was sceptical of such programs, but $20.00 wasn't too much to lose. It was a choice out of two such progroms that I randomly found. The other program was priced at about $65.00. I wandered what else the more expensive one did. Maybe it made you a cup of coffee while you waited. Anyway, the program I bought found a whole bunch of drivers and installed them as I watched. After that I rebooted the machine and tried running the mp4 files. They worked without a hitch.
    Last edited by Ibex; 2013-05-03 at 04:37.
    The key to wisdom is knowing all the right questions.

John A. Simone, Sr.