Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting in Gmail

In Outlook, you click on the description of a colum (From, Date, Topic, etc) and it sorts out the e-mail based on that column. Great tool. Is that possible in Gmail or do you always have to use the Search tool? I am on Gmail but that missing feature frustrates me. Help!!!

Thanks
    Hi wexmary,
    I also use Gmail, but only use it in Windows Live Mail. Heres how I use it. Mail Tips.pdf
    This is how it looks.

RR.jpg
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wexmary,

It sounds like you have the Outlook program on your computer but are getting to your email messages via gmail's web interface? If you're more comfortable with Outlook, you can setup Outlook to manage your gmail messages instead of going through the web interface. See this Google help page for instructions. For best results I recommend setting it up in Outlook as an IMAP connection rather than POP3.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    Wexmary,

It sounds like you have the Outlook program on your computer but are getting to your email messages via gmail's web interface? If you're more comfortable with Outlook, you can setup Outlook to manage your gmail messages instead of going through the web interface. See this Google help page for instructions. For best results I recommend setting it up in Outlook as an IMAP connection rather than POP3.
    I am currently going in the other direction, dg, and receiving everything in gmail, as Wexmary suggests. It is very impressive and, as a long-time Outlook user, I hope it will prove a good alternative rather than the new costly Outlook? We shall see. At the moment it is just a trial on my part but I like what I see.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
    I am currently going in the other direction, dg, and receiving everything in gmail, as Wexmary suggests. It is very impressive and, as a long-time Outlook user, I hope it will prove a good alternative rather than the new costly Outlook? We shall see. At the moment it is just a trial on my part but I like what I see.
    Since Outlook only provides an interface to your email, I assume you're referring to gmail's web interface:

"... receiving everything in gmail (the service) ... I hope it (the web interface) will prove a good alternative [to] Outlook (the interface)."

It's a subjective matter, of course, and I think that's what wexmary is trying to do and finding it lacking.

The point Roderunner and I are making is that gmail the service and gmail the web interface are two different things, and to make sure wexmary understands you don't have to use the web interface just because you want to use a gmail account.

As an email service, gmail is solid and I love it's reliability and spam filtering, but I hate its web interface. I despise "conversation" view and keep it turned off. Still, the interface has numerous shortcomings, such as the lack of sort options wexmary mentions. If you like the web interface, then fine. But if you don't, there are plenty of alternatives.