Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem burning ISO image to CD

Hi,

I've downloaded an ISO file from Microsoft that contains Windows XP SP3 and have been trying to use CDBurner XP to burn the ISO file to a blank CD-R. I've done this now with two CDs and each time it says that the disk is being closed, then checks it for errors and eventually tells me that the burn was completed successfully. So far, so good. However, when I then try to open the disk to see its contents by clicking on the CD/DVD drive in Windows Explorer, W7 ejects the CD and tells me to put a disk in the CD drive. When I put either of the two CDs into the drive and click Properties, it shows 0 bytes used and 0 bytes available, so something is clearly wrong.

I'm sure I'm missing something incredibly obvious here, but how do I get CDBurner XP (or any other burner, for that matter) to burn the XP SP3 ISO file to a CD correctly so that it can be read and used properly?

Many thanks in advance for any and all help.

Cheers,
    Al
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on HP ProBook
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on OLD Dell laptop
    Samsung Galaxy S5 running Lollipop 5.0

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Detailed instructions for CDBurnerXP:

http://cdburnerxp.se/help/Data/burn-iso

If you want to try ISO Burner:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...urnisofile.htm

Have you tried reading the disc in another computer?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also you did not get an XP SP3 ISO from Microsoft so the ISO you do have may be corrupt and unusable.

I always use ImgBurn, hasn't failed in many years of burning image files to disc.

Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken here the download of XP SP3 from MS is the download of the service pack only.

It is not a bootable disk and can only be used to apply the service pack to an existing installation.

ETA: This seems to confirm the above

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=25129
    Last edited by Browni; 2013-04-23 at 19:28.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, ruirib,

Thanks for the links, but I'd already been through the CDBurnerXP ISO instructions. I did, however, try ISO Burner you suggested, which seems to work well, and when I finished burning, the result was a bit different, but still not right. When I clicked on the CD/DVD burner drive in the left window of Windows Explorer, all it showed on the right side was a message saying that I had desktop.ini ready to be written to the disk, but there were no other files shown. However, when I checked the properties of the burner drive, it showed the 571MB or so that I expected, so that seemed like small progress at least.

I then took your suggestion, fired up my old XP laptop and found, to my surprise, that all 3 CDs I'd created from the original ISO file (2 through CDBurnerXP, 1 through ISO Burner) showed up perfectly with all their files. I next put them back into my W7 Pro desktop and they were just as unreadable as before. Apparently, the take-home message is that W7 can burn these ISO files to CDs just fine with either program, but it's unable to read the disks it created, while XP was able to read all 3 of them perfectly.

In this case, I only needed an XP SP3 CD to stick in another XP machine, but if anyone can help me to get W7 to correctly read the disks it's burned, I'll be most grateful.

Cheers,
    Al

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Also you did not get an XP SP3 ISO from Microsoft so the ISO you do have may be corrupt and unusable.

I always use ImgBurn, hasn't failed in many years of burning image files to disc.
    Hi, F.U.N. downtown,

Actually, I did get an XP SP3 ISO from Microsoft at this address:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=25129

Hope that helps.

Al

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    If I'm not mistaken here the download of XP SP3 from MS is the download of the service pack only.

It is not a bootable disk and can only be used to apply the service pack to an existing installation.

ETA: This seems to confirm the above

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=25129
    Hi, Browni,

Agreed. My problem, though, is not with the contents of the ISO file, but rather with figuring out how to get W7 to properly recognize and read the CDs it writes from this or any other ISO file. My geriatric XP laptop does it with no problem, but my W7 Pro machine apparently can't figure it out, and neither can I.

Any help that you or anyone can provide in that regard will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
    Al

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have found that to be quite a frequent situation with Windows 7. Try the Fix it here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd...problems/en-us
    It may help, but it's not guaranteed.

Is there a single file in the CD? If so, can you open it and read the contents?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My mistake, I guess I have to get with the times; I was only aware of the long-available network installation exe package...I know that works and you don't have to bother with an ISO.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I have found that to be quite a frequent situation with Windows 7. Try the Fix it here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd...problems/en-us
    It may help, but it's not guaranteed.

Is there a single file in the CD? If so, can you open it and read the contents?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the MS Fixit, but there was no change. I then tried opening 3 different files from the CD and they all opened just fine.

It seems odd that the young and agile W7 can't read the files while tired old XP does it without trouble, but that's not the first time I've found W7 having problems in cases where XP doesn't. I'm not sure how to solve this one and get W7 to read the files correctly.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks
    Maybe you have a bad CD/DVD drive on the Windows 7 machine.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

HealingHands33 (2013-04-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Maybe you have a bad CD/DVD drive on the Windows 7 machine.
    Hi, mrjimphelps,

Great suggestion! I was blaming everything on W7, but hadn't given a thought to the possibility that the drive itself might be the issue. I just tried opening several data and music CDs in that drive, but when I clicked on each of them in my E: drive in Windows Explorer, the tray popped out and I got the message window that tells me to "Insert a disk." Clearly, the drive now isn't recognizing any CDs, though it was working fine up until recently. Fortunately I have a 3-year manufacturer's warranty on all parts and 2 years of on-site service, so I'll let the folks who built it sort it out.

Thanks again for the excellent suggestion.

Cheers,
    Al

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, All,

Just thought I'd post back to let everyone know how this issue turned out. After trying everything I knew to try, I called in the pro who had custom-built the machine for me, and at first he too was as puzzled as I was. Then, after trying everything else, he finally deleted the CD/DVD drive from the computer's list of hardware, then rebooted the machine, and presto!, everything worked fine. It turned out that the driver for the CD/DVD drive had apparently suddenly become corrupted (though heaven only knows how), so when he rebooted after deleting the drive from the computer's hardware list, W7 now saw that the drive had magically "appeared" and re-loaded a fresh, uncorrupted copy of the driver for it, after which all was well.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks
    Among old time PC tech's, that's the first thing we'd try. And, not only with a CD drive. It works for other failing hardware as well.
    The second thing we'd try is going into the registry and removing upper and lower filters.
    Doing that manually is sometimes a path to disaster, but there's a little script that is tried and true,
    that does the job in just a second and won't screw up the registry.
    You can actually download that script, Here: (it's a great little Tech Tool) I've used it many times myself.

https://www.box.com/s/uqrsvto6c4t4cecis7ya

Happy Computing!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, DrWho,

Thanks for your post. My computer builder, who is indeed an "old time PC tech," said that ten years ago the driver would be the first thing they'd check, but that it's much less commonly a driver issue these days, as computers and drivers are generally much more stable now, so he was surprised to find that the driver was the issue on a relatively new W7 machine. He also looked in the registry for upper and lower filters, but there were none to remove.

In any event, it's sorted, and that's what counts.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by HealingHands33; 2013-05-01 at 21:33. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast