3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Downloaded word-(text) ext file to a excel with complications

I would like to get this report attached from a DOWNLOADED WORD TEXT file into an EXCEL FILE. It would be great to automate it, however if the report could get the COMMENT in the third field moved to the same line after the name that would be great. I would appreciate it, if any one had an Idea how to move this inconsistent data on to the line above after the NAME field. you will find the comments in line 6, 13 and 16 record lines.

Again, It is easy enough to get into an EXCEL file but I can't figure out how to move those comment which are important. (Automation would be cool- if possible)

I am attaching a sample of the WORD FILE (with TEXT) extension and the IMPORTED & COMPLETED EXCEL WORKBOOK.

NOTE: There is usually over three hundred pages to the word file report.

Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This isn't elegant but you could just enter a formula in the column after the name that would copy the Comment cell, like =IF(C9="","",IF(ISBLANK(C8),"",C9)). Then copy the column and Save As Value.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Since you say it was a Word file, why not clean it up there before saving as a text file. Quite simple for the comments with a wildcard Find/Replace, where:
    Find = ^13([ ]{3,})
    Replace = \1

Cleaning up the rest of the document in Word wouldn't be especially complicated either and could be automated with a macro.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. Bdv had a less hand on solution