New Lounger
    Thanks

Default printer not being saved

This is the problem-> The default printer (regardless of the make/model) which I pick stays for about a day but then the next day when I remote in (I do not log off of the terminal server, I just end my session) my default printer goes to one of the PDF writers that I use.

The set up -> terminal server is 2008 R2, back end server is a SBS 2011

Is this a bug with Microsoft because it has been popping up more recently after I moved my servers to the data center. This happens in PCs with XP as a base OS and also with Win7.

Any thoughts?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The default printer on your PC or the terminal server?
    If you select a default printer that only exists on the TS then disconnect your machine may reset the default printer to a local printer.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Event Log 1530 errors?

For your Remote Desktop clients on RDS Windows Server 2008 R2 , are you also getting Event Log 1530 errors? This is related to the user's User Profile not properly being released/updated during logoff. We're still looking for 1530 solutions....

Thanks
    Although this doesn't solve the problem, you might like to investigate the built-in PRINTUI.EXE, which may enable you to reset the default printer.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem with some users, and noticed that when it occurred, it always selected the last printer (alphabetically) in the list. Renaming the user's default printer with a high letter solved the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might want to look at your Group Policy,

Computer Configuration – Policies – Administrative Templates – Windows Components – Terminal Services – Terminal Server – Printer Redirection

The default desktop printer selection is usually forced upon a TS session by default. There are other factors but that is a common one to look out for.