Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What to do with a £180 piece of Junk? Nexus 7

What to do with a £180 piece of junk?

My wife has bought a 7” Nexus 7 tablet, with which I am distinctly unimpressed, but she refuses to send it back, even though it’s unusable.

The skimpy leaflet exhorts to “fully charge the battery as soon as you get a chance.” Then continues:

“The first time you turn on your tablet, you’ll see a Welcome screen. To choose a different language, touch the menu. Then touch Start and follow the on-screen instructions.”

So we connected the charger and plugged it in. The Welcome screen appeared almost immediately, then a multi-coloured X which I took to indicate it was charging, but could have meant there was a problem. With no suggestion as to how long a charge would take, I left it for an hour. After disconnecting the charger the long since black screen lit up, not with the welcome screen but a list of available networks.

Asked for the password, which must mean to the network, as nothing else had been set-up, it quickly became apparent how difficult it is to enter a 16 character jumble of upper and lower case letters and numbers on a touch screen with very little space between the characters and especially when the key – if that’s the word – for changing between letters and numbers only works intermittently. Also there seems to be a time limit, as twice I had entered 5 or 6 characters when they disappeared and I had to start over again.

Eventually, all completed, I touched SAVE but nothing happened except a return to the password request. After a lot more effort the details were re-entered. This time I chose DONE, which seems to have been the correct choice, no thanks to the leaflet. Unfortunately, I must have got one, or more, characters wrong, because when trying to connect the screen said ‘authenticating’ for about 10 mins. Then ‘Authentication problem’. I recall selecting V five times and Y appearing on screen, so it would have been easy to get a character wrong.

So here we are, no way to delete whatever has been saved, and thus no way to complete set-up. The leaflet says for help contact google.com/nexus, but that is just sales puff, no help whatsoever.

It should be possible to get online at a hot spot, but without having access to our home network it’s a crippled device.

Or does one of the Lounge professionals know how to surmount this dilemma?

George
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-04-24 at 16:46.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    We have just bought a Nexus 7 and it's brill. We had the standard setup prompts as expected and no trouble with the screen / keyboard characters.

I would start by turning it off - hold the power button down - then re-start it. If you don't get the standard startup options and the screen / keyboard is still flakey I would think you have a dodgy one and it's time to take it back for a replacement. If it runs OK try a factory reset.

BTW, I think a full charge takes a couple of hours.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,
    There is no improvement this morning. When switched on GOOGLE appears for a while, followed by the multi-coloured X. Touching that brings the Welcome screen with the language options, then straight to the WiFi options. As our network can’t be authenticated I tried BT Openzone, but it is unable to find the server, no doubt because of being locked out of the router.

Nothing else is available, other than when moving my finger down the WiFi options they rolled back to show an incorrect time and date.

Must say I am intrigued by the camera. With the lens on the front, and no viewfinder or shutter release at the back it would appear that one can only photograph oneself.

There is a problem with returning the Nexus, in that it was purchased from Amazon or EBay and there are no directions for doing so. Also my wife currently refuses to try – she firmly believes that something that doesn’t work will right itself eventually.

Resetting the tablet would be ideal, if there was a way to do so. I wonder, if it is left switched on for a day or so until the battery is exhausted, then recharged, would all the old setting have been extinguished? Or am I becoming influenced by my wife’s wishful thinking?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Try cancelling all the setup requests. You may get to the main screen this way. Once there you should be able to try the reset.

The "back" button is the U turn arrow bottom left.

Leaving the device on won't work as it goes to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity and lasts ages when asleep.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately there are no setup requests or back button as described. After switching on there is the Google logo, followed my the large coloured X, then tap the English key and straight to WiFi dead end.

If you think exhausting the battery might enable a reset, it could be done by leaving it on my desk, or wherever, and switching on every 10 mins or so. It might take days but is not impossible. However, it was only a suggestion, as I don’t think it would work, seeing how impractical it would be for anyone who allowed the battery to run down and had to set everything up again. I suppose it depends whether tablets have a hard disk or some sort of flash drive.

Next week when I get some time I will visit a local library – the nearest burnt down the other week – and see if after connecting to the web it’s possible to set it up properly.

If not it definitely needs to be returned or scrapped.

Thanks for your help anyway.

PS I would be interested to learn where you found the info about resetting the Nexus, as I couldn't find anything useful on the Google site.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-04-25 at 16:10. Reason: Add PS

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the device under warranty? Product tech support should be covered; check with the merchant. If you invalidate the warranty, you're not going to get a refund/exchange.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd be sending it back immediately for a full refund.

The reset page was from a Google search.

p.s. I bought mine from a well known high st catalogue store and paid an extra £20. Worth it for the ease of warranty.

cheers, Paul

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-04-26)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul. Your latest posting, along with my assurance that there is no way to get the Nexus working, finally persuaded my wife. She has written to EBay saying the machine is faulty and she wants to return it for refund.

She has opted for a refund rather than a replacement, on my previous advice that if anything goes wrong it’s easier to return it to a shop, and also because she finds it fairly heavy, and 16 GB may be somewhat lighter, and as I originally pointed out, should be ample for her needs.

George

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't see less memory weighing less. It's more likely to be the battery that gives it weight.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Your enthusiasm for the Nexus puzzles me. We went to an investment show yesterday, and took the tablet in the expectation there might be a Wifi point there. There was, and the entire lunch break was spent trying to set it up, starting with email. I tried glee@gmail, then glee and a couple of numerals, then with my year of birth, then glee1066 and finally my normal email address, substituting gmail for my ISP. All were unavailable, and the annoying thing was that it said it would take a couple of minutes to check if the name was available, but in fact took c 4 minutes each time.

I did succeed in setting the date and time, then the lunch break was over. But it wasn’t a complete waste of time. Getting a connection yesterday seems to have freed up the system somewhat and at some point this evening I had a screen full of icons, and selecting email was today able to put in the correct password for the router. Unfortunately, unlike earlier there was no save option, so presumably it will be necessary to enter the whole thing each time to connect to the home network. I also managed to set up a gmail account on my desktop, then apply it to the Nexus – using one of the user names yesterday rejected as unavailable.

I have discovered that tapping the keys is more effective than pressing them, and the ABC/123 key worked each time – so we won’t be able to return it – but the clock is one hour fast. Selecting the clock icon, there is no way to reset the time, but it was possible to select ‘London’. This results in the wrong time being shown in large numerals , then London and the correct time in smaller ones. At other times only the wrong time is shown.

Further irritations are the screen changing between vertical and horizontal for no apparent reason, and even upside down on occasions, the absence of any instructions, either written or on screen, and the arbitrariness of everything. Of the three icons that sometimes appear at the bottom of the screen, the back icon works as intended, but the other two seem to have no specific function. One has to keep trying to access anything, turning it on and off, tapping on various part of the screen, etc.

In short, about the most user unfriendly device one could imagine.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    George,

I can see why you are a little troubled, but like all new gadgets you need to learn to use it. We love ours as it allows us to do the things we require when away from the main computer.

Once you add a wifi connection it is automatically remembered.

I already had a gmail account so I did the same, but getting my complex password across required me to run a web server on my PC, connect to the server and download a text file with the password. (That'll teach me to be security conscious.)

Tapping keys very lightly is all that is required. You don't actually need to touch the screen at all, just get very close.

To set the clock you need press the 3 vertical dots in the bottom corner, then set what you want. To add other cities press the inverted teardrop in the middle at the bottom and tick/untick whatever city you require. (the 3 vertical dots is always the settings.)

Screen rotation is great once you get used to it. a web page shown vertically automatically increases text size when you rotate sideways. You can probably turn it off if you want.

I suggest you adopt the attitude "Nil illegitemi carborundum".

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would suspect there is an EPROM in it to keep settings regardless of primary battery condition. Foolish if not on board and memory, more or less. will hardly be noticeable to anything but a gram scale I would think.

Thanks
    If you think you may have messed up in the initial setup, there's two RESET procedures. If you do a full factory reset, you should get a second chance at getting a clean and correct setup. I hope this helps.
    -- Bob Primak --

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-05-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears to me that no one in this entire thread mentioned that the password needed to start the setup process must be a Google password that you create from another computer at www.google.com or create right on the Nexus 7. Wi-Fi connectivity is required first. The password for the local Wi-Fi network must be entered if the wireless network is secured. I would also mention that if you have no previous experience with a touch screen product like Nexus 7, then you will have difficulties typing and navigating until you develop the "right touch." Also, please be aware that on the home screen of the product is a "Nexus 7 Guidebook" which is well worth reading. So make yourself read the ________ manual!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually you don't need a Google account to set them up. I had mine running without setting up a Google account, you just can't get any apps easily.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast