Lounger
    Thanks

Weird partition data

Hi,

I'm currently trying to track down the reason why my ACER laptop occasionally freezes with the HDD liht stuck on.

In my searches, I have noticed that I have some mystery partitions on the drive. EaseUs lists

Dynamic disk (Disk 1)
    - System reserved: 100 mb / 29.6 used / 70.4 free
    - C: 223 mb / 111 / 112
    - D: 222 mb / 54 / 168
    Unallocated: 2 mb

When I look at the graph at the bottom however, I see

Disk 1
    Dynamic MBR

Other *: (13.67 gb / 13.67 gb used
    Other 7.00gb / 7.00 gb used
    NTFS *: System reserved 100mb / 29 mb used
    C:
    D:
    unallocated space.

Any idea what these "others" are and should they be there? Are they anything to do with the dynamic mbr?

For info, I installed Acronis Drive Monitor recently and it has been showing an increasing Reallocation enevt count (gone up from 50-odd 2 weeks ago to 77 today) and Current Pending Sector count (2). I don't know if the mystery partitions and these figures are connected in any way...

Thanks

PS: I have another query regarding system restore activation for the system reserved partition in a separate post

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Often manufacturers include a recovery partition - you seem to have 2 - which are accessed at start up.

I assume Drive Monitor uses SMART data. You can let it do it's stuff until it reports impending disk failure. In the meantime you should keep an up to date image backup and daily data backup.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The 100MB partition is the standard W7 boot partition, the 7GB is the Acer recovery partition. 'Other' is probably an extended partition which contains your C and D partitions, however, you have a much more pressing problem.

The hard drive has developed bad sectors, fixing these as they are detected is causing the freezes.

Back up any valuable data now. Make the Acer recovery CD/DVDs, if you haven't already, so that you can reload Windows onto a new drive. If the laptop is under warranty, contact them now for a replacement drive, the current one may become unusable at any time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Marp (2013-04-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input.
    I am keeping a close eye on the HDD and will do an image asap. I do have Macrium Reflect, but it doesn't recognize my drive. I guess I could try to use the inbuilt Windows tool, but it will only do the whole drive, not partition by partition - and for that it needs 164 GB (space I don't have). Any suggestions?
    PS: I had wondered if my problem was connected with the recent BSoD patch issue.

Thanks
    Hi Marp,
    if you right click 'Computer' select 'Manage' then 'Disk Management' you will get this:-

RR.jpg

Here is how to post it to give a better description of your settings. Make an Image and Post it.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

Marp (2013-04-26)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The easiest way to do a full backup is by buying a USB hard disk - these are around 40 (whatever currency you use). This is the cheapest insurance you will ever buy.

If Macrium can't see your hard disk you have some very odd arrangement. Please post the disk info as suggested by RR.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marp View Post
    Thanks for the input.
    I am keeping a close eye on the HDD and will do an image asap. I do have Macrium Reflect, but it doesn't recognize my drive. I guess I could try to use the inbuilt Windows tool, but it will only do the whole drive, not partition by partition - and for that it needs 164 GB (space I don't have). Any suggestions?
    PS: I had wondered if my problem was connected with the recent BSoD patch issue.
    Marp,
    Check this thread in the forum.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...of-Death-patch

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think perhaps MR-free does not deal with dynamic disks, if you have the paid version then it should.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input and suggestions.
    here's what my disk looks like (it ain't pretty)

disk.JPG

The two main partitions to the left weren't there a few weks ago.

I've also found out that my Windows Search Index is corrupted, probably due to bad sectors, so maybe that is what has caused the add-ons. I have now turned off indexing. The above confirms that my hard disk is on its way out. It's working fine right now, but I'll have to look at it this weekend. Maybe I can do a migrate with the trial version of TrueImage.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN is correct. Macrium Feature Comparison.
    I have said it before but it's worth repeating. Money spent on backup software that does what you want is a very good investment.

The disk manufacturers provide free software to clone disks - provided one of the disks is theirs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Marp (2013-04-26)