3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Powering down quesions.

For at least the past month, every time I log off at the end of the day, Window always has to download two files, and it doesn’t want me to power down. I just leave the computer alone and it will power down after it has downloaded the file. Why is it doing this every time I log off? What are these files?

Bob Wall

Thanks
    It could be that it is trying and failing over and over to install a couple of Windows updates.

What version of Windows are you running? If you are running Windows 7, you will have the option to shut down without installing the latest Windows updates. If this option is present, then choose it. If your computer powers off right away, then we can probably blame the problem on updates which are failing to install.

If that is the case, then check your Windows update history. Note the updates that have failed. Refresh the list of Windows updates to be installed, and if those updates are in the list, hide them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-06-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Where do I find the Windows update history?
    Bob Wall

Thanks
    In Windows 7, go to Start / All Programs / Windows Update. Click View Update History. The list will tell you if any of the updates failed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-06-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for clarifying that for me. I did download everything I found on the site, but when I closed down last night, it still wanted to download two files. This morming I downloaded the those two (?) files that I evidently didn't download yesterday. I have rebooted twice this morning, and those two files appeared again in the download site.
    Bob Wall

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    is this still happening?

if so, can you write out the files that it is trying to download?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben09880 For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-06-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351)

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217)

Above are the two files Windows wants me to download and install, I think. I actually have these files already, as shown on at least three pages of

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\View update history .

The last time I quit, it wanted to install these files (?). The next time I quit, it may, or may not want to install these files. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to what happens at shutdown.

Now I just ignore it.
    Bob Wall

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you know of any software on your machine that requires .NET 4?
    You could try uninstalling .NET 4 from your machine and rebooting... Reboot a couple times. Make sure there is no more shutdown update issue.

Only if you have a program that requires .NET 4 should you install .NET 4

To my understanding, software with dependencies will typically install those dependencies. If you remove the dependencies, the software that required it will throw an error message stating as such. In the very least, Microsoft Programming Languages will give you the appropriate error message. So you should be able to safely remove .NET 4, reboot(s), try out software to see what needed it, reboot, reinstall .NET 4, all software should run fine as before.

I could be mistaken, but not in my own experience.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben09880 For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-06-14)

Thanks
    This is normally caused by a corrupted .net install. Try uninstalling all versions of .net and reinstalling .net4.

Jerry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-06-14)

Thanks
    If the above advice effects a solution you might consider setting WU to look for updates only, not download or install anything.
    It is not dire that anything be updated immediately, especially if you are someone who is in control of your system and is stead fast in it's maintenance.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-06-14)