Lounger
    Thanks

System clock not accurate

Just recently I have noticed that the Windows clock in my system tray is now gaining time - it seems to be about one minute every couple of hours. I am using Win 7 SP1 on a homebuilt tower system, and the whole system is not that old. It synchronizes with the NIST server once a week, but that means it is way wrong by the time that happens automatically, so i have to do it manually a couple times each day when i am using it.

Is this a CMOS battery issue? I sort of naively thought that would cause the clock to run slow if that was the problem. Any suggestions apppreciated.
    Mike
    I can always use good information

Thanks
    Goggling for this issue suggested checking for updated chipset drivers and I also found this at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-94a001cc7ff5/

I finally found a solution for this problem. In a thread on the Windows Seven Forums here, I found this post:

"It seems Windows 7 installs the time service set to start automatically, which in some cases it does not start automatically and windows won't update with a time server on the net. Just change the service to automatic/delayed start and reboot to test if service is actually running... remember to give it a minute to start."

Go to: Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Services

Click the 'Standard' tab in the right frame, scroll down to 'Windows Time' and double click the option to access settings.

On the 'General' tab in the popup window, find 'Startup type' and set it to 'Automatic (Delayed Start)'. If it's not already started, click the 'Start' button in the 'Service Status' area.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2013-04-26)

Thanks
    There's a useful article Make Windows synchronize time more often which rather decries what *I* would have suggested, viz. SpecialPollInterval!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2013-04-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you. I performed the "services" suggestion as per jwitalka, and then set up the tasks as shown in the link by BATcher. I am making it synch everyday at 1:15 am for now - I may switch it to more often if it needs it.
    Mike

Thanks
    Another option is a 3rd party time keeping app like Dimension 4.
    I find it unlikely that the cause would be CMOS battery related, especially since your system is a newer build.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2013-05-04)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is not the battery causing time loss unless it is indeed dead and your clock and CMOS settings would all go back to as manufactured settings if that were to happen which is rare, it is a continuously running oscillator built into the chipset and they are sometimes not as accurate as they should be. They are not precision types. Not much more accurate than those in TV's for color burst synch. Simply use almost any app that syncs on a daily basis to NIST or other prime clock source.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mpioso For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2013-05-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both above! I am now using Dimension 4 to sync regularly every 15 minutes, which does keep the clock reasonably close. Upon looking at the history of the syncing it shows some weird stuff (see history attached for those interested). The clock mostly is corrected about eight seconds every 15 minutes, but not always - sometimes one or two seconds, sometimes milliseconds, in no apparent pattern. I (perhaps naively) would have thought that this time gain would have been more uniform. Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mike

Thanks
    I wouldn't necessarily say;It would unlikely be the CMOS battery myself.I have experience pretty much the same thing as mricks01.When I recently built my newer system not to long back.Replaced the battery & I haven't had any trouble since.One has to remember that just because it's new.It is an electronic device.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chowur View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say;It would unlikely be the CMOS battery myself.I have experience pretty much the same thing as mricks01.When I recently built my newer system not to long back.Replaced the battery & I haven't had any trouble since.One has to remember that just because it's new.It is an electronic device.
    Good point.
    As a measure of thoroughness, replace the CMOS battery and clean all contacts when placing the newer one.
    Also take a good close look at the board to ensure that all standoffs are in their respective positions and that there are
    no metal, or other fragments, on the circuit board itself.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.