Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 7 partition and VMware

For some reason, unbeknownst to both me and the people at Epson, my printer's ][Workforce 845] scan function won't work if VMware is installed. SO, I thought I'd put it on a separate partition and multiboot.

Can I set up two Windows 7 partitions on the same machine and install VMware to one? Assuming that I can do so, is it just walking through the 7 install and installing it again on a separate partition? Will it then "mutli-boot"?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you talking about VMware workstation, or is the VM client? Either way you may be able to stop the VMware service(s) to allow you to use the scanner.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul, it's v7 of the Workstation. It would be great if I could do it that way!
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Paul, I just [re]installed the VMware, and then restarted the machine, and then stopped all the [labeled] VMware services. The scanner still gave me the same error. I suppose since I don't use the scanner all the time it's not a tremendous issue to uninstall and reinstall VMware, but it WOULD be cool to have them run together. Oh well...

Thanks,
    Chuck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I expect it's the VMware USB drivers. Can you disable USB in VM workstation?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I dunno. I'll look.

Thanks,
    Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a strange question.... if you connect the scanner to a VM, can the VM scan?

Thanks
    Ben;

No. I can connect the printer to the Very Much, but it doesn't see the scanner.

Chuck

Thanks
    OK, things being as they are, here's a question: Can I set up a separate partition /multi-boot, and then install the printer onto the second O/S [still Windows 7] without any other software, and then be able to scan from the second O/S and then transfer the images [flash drive] to the first O§ that has all the software [Word etc.]?

Seems like a lot of hoopla, but if it would work, then at least it would be a solution.

Chuck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes that should work. I would try splitting the disk, then copying an image of your Windows partition to the space you've created - should save on the installation. What I don't know is how to created the boot selector.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I'm not sure how to create it either Paul, but there should be some type of boot manager out there...

Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I'm not sure how to create it either Paul, but there should be some type of boot manager out there...
    "CW",
    Hello... The boot manager that i use...EasyBCD Free and it has worked on several PC iterations that i have tried... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    My bad...I think it is all explained. Thanks Fred!

Chuck
    ---

So Fred,

Once I have sized the partition and have the free disk space, do I then install EasyBCD, and it will "walk me through" the addition of the added o/s? I see where IU can edit the startup menu...so new o/s's would get added to the menu, or is that manual?

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2013-04-28 at 17:16.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post

Once I have sized the partition and have the free disk space, do I then install EasyBCD, and it will "walk me through" the addition of the added o/s? I see where IU can edit the startup menu...so new o/s's would get added to the menu, or is that manual?

"CW"

Hello... I don't know about a "Walk Through" Go to their forum and have a look see Neosmart forum Basically install Easy BCD on your default OS ( it doesn't matter , install it on them all if you want...this way you can edit your boot menu whichever OS is booted up ) Select Add New Entry \ or Edit boot Menu and input which OS you want to appear when boot time selection comes up ...Also select which is to be default ... and the order in which they will appear . This will get you going ... you then can explore the rest. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-04-28 at 17:40.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred, I apologize fro sounding [and being] naïve to this...

I have Windows 7 installed, and it shows on the BCD menu at startup. Now, if I install another Windows 7 -- which is what I want to do -- usually the Windows 7 will install to start up at boot, won't it? Will it see the other install and "ask" about it? But since this is my second O/S, will the install of the second supercede the first and then get fixed by editing the BCD menu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast