Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post

I have Windows 7 installed, and it shows on the BCD menu at startup. Now, if I install another Windows 7 -- which is what I want to do -- usually the Windows 7 will install to start up at boot, won't it? Will it see the other install and "ask" about it? But since this is my second O/S, will the install of the second supercede the first and then get fixed by editing the BCD menu?
    "CW",
    Hello.... I have two windows 7 installed as well 32 & 64 ...What you do is rename them (Using Explorer & Disk Manager) and assign the "new 7" ( the one not booted into) something like "Windows 7 Alternate" ( so you can tell them apart) and give it a different drive letter (X) . Then you input the new "Windows 7 Alternate" into the EasyBCD new entry ... see screen shot ... when your finished click "Add Entry" and check back in "Edit Boot Menu" ...You then can set whichever one you want to be the default and what order they will appear when booting up. Regards Fred

PS: One caveat .... You may run into some "WGA" problems ... (Windows not genuine...etc.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-04-29 at 06:39.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks

Oh my

Fred, I installed the XP on the same platter as my Windows 7; it seemed to install fine...but it wouldn't boot/restart. So I repaired the Win-7 startup [as that was the only O§ install it was seeing, and started over. Same result: the install appears to go OK but then the machine won't boot.

I have 7 and XP on the same platter; Win-7 is "C" and XP is "H". The instructions said to make sure I installed the new O§ at the end of the disk, which I did.

So, what the heh is wrong here?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I installed the XP on the same platter as my Windows 7; it seemed to install fine...but it wouldn't boot/restart.

So, what the heh is wrong here?
    Chuck,
    Hello.... You keep changing the goal post ...You said that you wanted to dual boot windows 7 & 7 ? ...Dual booting XP and 7 is another "kettle of fish" ....There are several possible reasons that you won't be able to boot XP.

1. First what version of XP?

2. When trying to boot XP , do you get a blue screen? If so what error code(s)

3. XP doesn't have AHCI Drivers to work with SATA hard drives ..

4. How is your BIOS set IDE or AHCI?

I have done this (XP Pro SP-3 and 7, Vista, multi boot) but takes some doing ..have to "slipstream " the AHCI drivers and disable the XP native IDE drivers...That is unless your PC \ hard drives \ BIOS use IDE ...Think that you should start a new thread, as this is going to confuse everyone ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred, if by goal posts you mean the second install, you're right. I decided I didn't want to deal with needing a second purchased copy. I just reverted to XP since all I needed this for [right now at least] was to be able to run both VMware and my printer's scanner.

At any rate

I'm not totally sure how I managed it, but I got both installed. I say I am not sure because, for instance, I had installed the XP in a partition designated as "H" dive. After install it was just not behaving. EasyBCD wasn't seeing the XP, and the XP install had set the boot record to only see XP. So I went to a manual entry.

I expected to see XP showing as installed and pointed to on "H". It wasn't. It was showing as being on disk 0 -- so was my '7". So both O/S's were showing the same location. But I edited EasyBCD to show just that -- both O/S's from the same place -- and it worked!

On the next boot, both showed, and upon trial, both worked. I was able to install both networking and the printer/scanner on the XP install.

So, like I said, I'm not sure why, but it worked and works.

So I just finished backing up the entire disk as one piece. God willing, I should be OK now for this.

I appreciate your patience and fortitude, Fred.

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12