New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Windows 7 search box/vanishing results??

One left clicks the circular *Start* icon in W7..; then in the *Search programs and file* field box enters what he or she is looking for... (example)..... *My Golf Scores*. Now I get a vertical column of answers that I kinda recognize. I click the top one and a spreadsheet file opens, but it is not the correct one..(I am looking for the round of golf when I birdied two consecutive holes). My question.... is it possible to return to that same vertical column, where I can click and open another file (round of golf)... seeking to find what I was first looking for, or do I have to start all over again ie. left clicking the Start icon, entering My Golf Scores, opening another file ..... again and again until I (hopefully) open the correct one? Is there a way to keep that verticle column of possible answers from disappearing? Hope this makes sense. Thanks, Ron

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think so but perhaps a better method is called for. Presumably you will have saved your spreadsheet files in the same area, perhaps the same folder most often. So instead of clicking on a result, right click on it and open the file folder location. Then if it is not the right one, the correct one should be very near.

Also presumably you have just one program associated with opening those types of spreadsheet files, so rather than search the entire computer for one file, open the program first and the file you seek is probably in the recent files list of the program. Additionally you may have the program in the most recently used list in the start menu or even have it pinned to the start menu if frequently used or even pinned to the taskbar, and then you can use the jump list (carrot in start menu, right click on taskbar item) associated with program for quick access.

If none of that is satisfactory then you may want to use a third party search program which will display results and be persistent until you close that search program.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

ront2 (2013-04-26)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try opening Windows Explorer and using the search there. If you've stored your spreadsheets in Documents just click on Documents before the entering the search term to limit the search to Documents.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

ront2 (2013-04-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot F.U.N. downtown and JoeP517...... I am also looking at *Copernic* (third party software).