Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Beware KB 2775511, a special hotfix rollup post-Windows 7 SP1

Installed KB 2775511 on 3 PCs and had the problem below on all of them. Uninstalled KB 2775511 (using System Restore) and the problem went away.

W7 Home Premium 32 bit.

In Windows Explorer press New Folder button. New folder named New Folder created but not highlighted ready for renaming and DVD drive door opens.

Press New Folder button. New folder created named New Folder (2) and highlighted for renaming. Renamed folder as “what” (without quotes). This causes an Item Not Found box which reports This is no longer located in D:\Downloads (the folder I was in). Verify the item’s location and try again.

Try Again works and the renamed folder “what” shows normally.

Right click on folder “what” and moving it elsewhere produces Item Not Found box as before and Try Again completes the task.

Note re opening DVD drive door. This happened on two of the PCs. On each occasion I was so surprised that I did not notice exactly what happened, so cannot report for sure exactly what I did when it happened. On the third PC I was all ready for it, but it never happened! The third PC is a laptop, the others are desktops. I have not been able to reproduce the symptom.

Thanks
    (See http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...as-90-hotfixes for earlier comments on this KB)

Using x64 and the 'classic' Explorer here without any optical drives; I don't get your results with the new folder or with renaming it to "what", it works as expected.

What 3rd party auto-starting software, common to all 3 machines do you have - antivirus?, anything else?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running at startup:
    Microsoft Security Essential
    Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro
    Classic Star Menu
    StartupMonitor
    My Secret Folder
    NetMeter
    7 Taskbar Tweaker

Classic Shell & Classic Explorer settings in Setup Classic Shell.txt
    7 Taskbar Tweaker is used solely to change right click on task bar item to give the Windows XP options (eg Minimize)
    Ultimate Windows Tweaker used to remove arrows from shortcut icons and shortcut suffixes.
    HashTab installed
    Mzstartup installed
    Office 2010 (Word, Excel) installed
    (not a complete list but others not likely to be relevant))

Registry modifications to:
    Disable Windows Anytime Upgrade
    Open with Notepad
    Remove Control Panel in WE
    Remove favorites
    Remove libraries

See attached Setup Windows Explorer.txt for how I do it
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update KB 2798162 (one of 14 May 13’s patch Tuesday offerings) causes me to have the same problems that I experienced with KB 2775511 a Windows 7 SP1 hotfix rollup.

Capture.JPG

I have right click dragged Folder 1 from the left window to the right window to put it inside Folder 2 and selected Move. The Item Not Found popup occurs, Try Again completes the task.

I also get the popup when renaming a just created New Folder, Try Again completes the renaming.

I ran Windows Update on a spare system, one patch at a time until the fault appeared after KB 2798162 was installed. The problem did not go away after uninstalling KB 2798162. It was necessary to do a System Restore to before its installation for the problem to go away. (This was also necessary for KB 2775511)

I am using a registry modification to remove the library display in Windows 7 windows explorer. If I re-apply the registry fix the problem is solved.

The registry modification was obtained from:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to...ws-7-explorer/

Thanks
    If I'm reading it correctly, KB2798162 is a non-security patch for an earlier patch that fixes a bug in displaying jumplists.

Dig deeper into non-security patches before installing them?
    New non-security content:

Update for Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 (KB2798162)

Locale: All
    Deployment: Important/Automatic Updates, WSUS, and Catalog
    Classification: High Priority, Non-Security
    Supersedes:
    KB2607576 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
    KB2812822 on Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012

Description:
    Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2798162
    Update to improve messaging of dialog boxes when you run executable files in Windows (KB2798162)

This update changes several dialog boxes that are presented when you try to run executable files. The update changes text in dialog boxes to let you make more informed decisions on what files you should run or should not run.

Note This update will take effect only if update 2792100 is installed on the computer.
    For more information about update 2792100, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    2792100 MS13-009: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer: February 12, 2013
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-009 - Critical
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (KB2792100)

Ken Kashmarek
    I have also run into a problem with 2798162. I DO NOT have 2792100 or 2775511 installed.

With 2798162 installed, I get the following dialog:

KB2798162.jpg

I cannot execute any programs, including the Snipping Tool or OneNote screen grab, so I had to take a picture of the dialog on the screen.

In case you cannot read the image, it says

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I am running as administrator to this is clearly NOT the case.

So my symptons are slightly different from others, but I cannot run with this fix installed. It will stay removed.

My system is Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, with IE10 and all other patches applied (using ESET NOD32 and Online Armor).
    Last edited by Ken Kashmarek; 2013-05-18 at 15:00.

Ken Kashmarek
    I have not found a specific download for 2792100 for my systems. The knowledge base article says use Windows Update to get the patch but it is not offered (and therefor MUST NOT APPLY). Yet, the knowledge base article says that 2798162 will not be invoked UNLESS 2792100 is installed, which is APPARENTLY NOT TRUE!

Catch-22 here. Something is broken.

Thanks
    Do you have KB2607576 installed (the patch for jumplists), if so, you may also be offered KB2798162?

Ken Kashmarek
    I do not have 2607576 installed. Besides, what does that have to do with the problem that exists with 2798162, which is broken?

2607576 was not mentioned in any of the related knowledgebase items that I found.

In essence, I don't use jumplists.

Are you suggesting that I install 2607576 and then 2798162 would work? I doubt that but then maybe you have more information than what I have available. Thus far, it seems that Microsoft isn't aware of any problems with 2798162, so maybe it is just something associated with a few specific computers.

An open question for anyone with insight into this issue: why is Microsoft providing a dialog with "options" to be considered when executing a program? Does this now mean that EVERY program execution will bring up this dialog and that one must respond to the dialog everytime a program is run? Where is the discussion on this dialog box that is presented?

Still, thanks for the feedback. Maybe we can figure this out.

Thanks
    KB2798162 supersedes 2607576 on W7/Server2008: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199/en-us, just working backwards to try to work out why you are offered 2798162.

Can you post a jpeg of the options you see offered when opening an executable?

Ken Kashmarek
    I did post a jpg of the dialog. Please see my original posting above. You must be signed in to view the jpg. It provides NO options, just the indicated message.

Thanks
    I must be logged in to make a reply. I don't understand your reference to an 'options' dialogue, you show an error message which roughly equates to 'Access denied'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    An open question for anyone with insight into this issue: why is Microsoft providing a dialog with "options" to be considered when executing a program?

Ken Kashmarek
    You asked the question...

"Can you post a jpeg of the options you see offered when opening an executable?"

I posted the ONLY dialog that comes out after applying 2798162.

In the discussion at Microsoft about 2798162 at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2798162

here is the statement about the OPTIONS dialog...

"This update changes several dialog boxes that are presented when you try to run executable files. The update changes text in dialog boxes to let you make more informed decisions on what files you should run or should not run."

After installing 2798162, when I try to run a program, I get the dialog box mentioned earlier. I DO NOT GET THE REFERENCED DIALOG BOX indicated in 2798162.

To make the point clear, 2798162 is BROKEN. I do not have the other patches that would cause it to be installed (with the information provided to date by anyone).

Thanks
    The issues you see could be down to the lack of 2792100, without the specific versions of the files updated by 2792100, you are very likely to see errors.

Have you run any Registry 'cleaners'? Use of these may lead to problems.

Do you have UAC turned on or off?

Have you used System Restore in the last few months?

Have you run through the Windows 7 Troubleshooter for Windows Update?

There are various troubleshooters available from MS, for example http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...alling-updates, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958056 , http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058?wa=wsignin1.0 - but I'm unsure as to which one(s) or in which order you would need to run them in.

Even though this is a non-security patch, I feel you should be entitled to free Microsoft support on this issue as the patch should only be offered if update 2792100 is installed - 2792100 is a Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer.
    For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. [1]

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4

[1] Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time; Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM Pacific Time
    You could simply uninstall the unneeded patch and hide it but if a new version is published, it will be offered again.

Ken Kashmarek
    Thanks for responding.

The lack of 2792100 is due entirely to Windows Update NEVER offering this fix. In the knowledgebase material, 2792100 applies to IE10 which I have, but one CANNOT manually download a specific version for my configuration (the article indicates the ONLY way to acquire 2792100 is through Windows Update). Fault: Microsoft.

UAC is turned ON (of course). Maybe if I turn it off...?

I have used CCleaner but not on the Registry specifically (no generic broad brush activity).

Windows Update ALWAYS uses System Restore to create restore points when installing patches. I have not used System Restore to recovery to any of those points. When 2798162 is installed, the dialog that comes up restricts use of the System Restore interface to recover (I had to go to Programs and Features - yes, the Control Panel still functioned - view installed updates, then select 2798162 to be uninstalled).

There are no problems with Windows Update as best I can determine. It continues to operrate normally as I get updates offered and they get installed. 2792100 being the exception here (of course, I consider the offering of 2798162 to be in error primarily).

I have reviewed the material at Microsoft.com with regard to failure of 2798162, and much of it is repetitive verbose material, which gets in the way of any discussion of the real problem.

As I indicated earlier, I have chosen to hide 2798162 and leave it hidden. In all the knowledgebase material, I fail to find ANY reason why it is offered and why I need it installed. I have yet to find a discussion of the supposed dialog that is mentioned and any options that said dialog offers, or WHY this is being done.

I think we have covered what is necessary. Yes, contacting Microsoft might do something, but from what I have read thus far, they appear to have NO clue as to what is happening, why it is happening, how to go about resolution, or even recognizing a problem. In general, when I don't have these types of issues, I tend to think Microsoft doesn't run into these either. However, when I go through the knowledgebase material, I see a tendency to whitewash or talk away any potential problems (do this, do that but don't expect resolution).

Thanks again. I believe your intentions are good but it could be a long time before Microsft achieves the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast