New Lounger

applying templates to existing documents

I have been searching for days on the internet trying to find a solution to my problem and have come up with nothing so I'm really hoping someone out there can help!
    I have multiple existing documents that I need to be able to apply a template to. The template contains a header and footer image so the normal templates/addins way will not work. Is there any type of VB code that I can write to make this possible or am I just out of luck?

I appreciate ANY help!

Super Moderator
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Applying a template won't change any content.

If you need to change the h/f then I would firstly add them as building blocks in the template. Then I use code to replace the headers and footers with those building blocks. The following code shows you how it might be done.
    Function ReplaceHFwithBB(aRng As Range, sATE As String)
      On Error GoTo errCatch
      ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate.AutoTextEntries(sATE).Insert Where:=aRng, RichText:=True
      aRng.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
      aRng.Delete   'get rid of last paragraph mark
      Exit Function
      MsgBox "Error: " & Err.Number & vbCr & Err.Description
      Exit Function
    End Function
    Sub ChangeHF()
      Dim iSect as Integer
      For iSect = 1 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
          ActiveDocument.Sections(iSect).PageSetup.DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter = False
          ActiveDocument.Sections(iSect).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).LinkToPrevious = False
          ActiveDocument.Sections(iSect).Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).LinkToPrevious = False
          ReplaceHFwithBB ActiveDocument.Sections(iSect).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range, "MyHeader"
          ReplaceHFwithBB ActiveDocument.Sections(iSect).Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range, "MyFooter"
      Next iSect
    End Sub
    Last edited by Andrew Lockton; 2013-04-30 at 19:48. Reason: Repaired the aDoc/ActiveDocument issue
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

srobbins (2013-04-28)

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
    Otherwise, simply create a new document based on the template and paste your content into the new document.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin