Thanks

Thunderbird keeps wanting to compact folders

Every time TBird opens it asks if I want the folders compacted. This is getting tedious. It's v17.0.5. The only option I can find about this is the one about how much space it can recover to do the work (set at 20Mb). Has something changed?

Thanks
    Do you let it do the compaction?

Even Outlook Express, in XP, did the same thing, periodically.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    The first couple of times yes. After that I cancelled. However, it seems to have stopped now. I expect it to come up once in a while, but not every time!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you clear the check box in Tools-Options-Advanced-Disk Space?

I periodically go through my Inbox and move messages to other folders. When I do this for the first time in a session, the Compact Folders? dialog pops up. I click on cancel and it does not appear again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nate01pa For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2013-05-23)

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to make sure Thunderbird will get slow and have problems, then set it to never compact folders. Never moving messages to folders - that is - keeping them in your inbox is also a good way to be looking for problems.

All the messages in any folder in Thunderbird are all in one file, one after another. There is a second file that indexes the messages and tells Thunderbird what to display. As you read messages, and delete them, they're only marked for deletion and hidden. They are not physically removed until you "compact" the folder. This is the same for many other email clients.

These folders (in TB) /files (on the computer) tend to get corrupted when you have lots of messages in a folder, many of them are deleted, and you don't compact often enough. This is mostly a problem for the Inbox, as while other folders may get very large you typically don't delete messages in them often. You should keep the number of messages in your inbox small, move any you want to keep to other folders or sub folders, and Compact regularly.

Tools > Options > Advanced > Network & Disk Space, At the bottom of the page there is a tick box, "Compact folders when it will save ___ MB in total." You're best off not changing this, but you should 'compact' your folders often (File > Compact Folders).

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_working_-_Thunderbird
    and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
    and http://thunderbirdtweaks.blogspot.co...must-i-do.html