New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail quits installation on WIN7

I am the designated "computer tech" for our church computer. It is a windows 7, 64 bit, SP1. The secretary has been using the ATT/Yahoo webmail. She wants me to put a mail program on the computer and I was planning to install Windows Live Mail on there. I have an older version on my XP machine and it works pretty well.
    Today I tried to install the latest version of windows live mail (16.4.3505.912) on the WIN 7 machine but it would only install to 72% then stop. It did it 3 or 4 times before I gave up on it. No error messages or other explantion on why it stopped. I clicked on the cancel button and it backed out.
    Anybody have an idea on why it would hang at 72% or what to do next?
    Last edited by bellboy; 2013-04-26 at 17:29.

Thanks
    NO! But did you not know or understand that Windows Live Mail comes already installed on Windows 7 ???

I set it up for just one man and his response was "That looks like #$%^ !!!" (expletive deleted)
    I really had to agree with him, it did look pretty bad. But that was when Win-7 was just brand new and I didn't know what else I could do for him.

Since then I've learned how to fix Windows Mail so it will work. It runs just fine on Vista, but was disabled by MS on Windows 7 & 8.

On Win 7 it's really pretty easy. All you need to do is go into the Windows Mail program folder in the \Program Files\ folder and delete the MSOE.dll file and replace it with the same file from Windows Vista.
    Reboot and Windows Mail will work and you can set it up to look and work just like Outlook Express in Windows XP.

It looks good and works good.

In any case, there is NO reason to try to Install Windows Live Mail in Win-7.

If nothing else will work for you, just download and install Mozilla Thunderbird. It's a pretty good email program.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    But did you not know or understand that Windows Live Mail comes already installed on Windows 7 ???
    I don't think so:

Four applications bundled with Windows Vista – Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, Windows Calendar[52] and Windows Mail – are not included with Windows 7, but applications with close functionality are instead available for free in a separate package called Windows Live Essentials which can be downloaded on the Microsoft website. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7
    The Complete Windows Experience – Windows 7 + Windows Live

In any case, there is NO reason to try to Install Windows Live Mail in Win-7.
    Unless you want a good, free, modern email client?

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bellboy,
    Did you know that your Church, as a charitable organization, is most likely eligible for substantial discounts when purchasing MS software? You may just want to buy a copy of MS Office and use Outlook.
    Search for "Microsoft Office Charity license".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    NO! But did you not know or understand that Windows Live Mail comes already installed on Windows 7 ???
    snip...
    DrWho, I was referring to the Windows Live Mail that is part of the essentials group... and no, I didn't know that Windows Mail was already on the WIN7 machine. I'll have to check on that when I get back to try it again. That would be great if I could make Windows Mail work on that machine. I have a Vista laptop and I like the program because it is very similar to Outlook Express which I was already familiar with.
    I will try to replace that .dll file and see if it will work.
    Thanks
    Last edited by bellboy; 2013-04-28 at 18:00.

Thanks
    Footnote:
    On a 64 bit machine, there are two Program Files sub-directories. You need to replace the MSOE.dll file in the
    \Program Files\ Windows Mail sub-directory.

Windows hates for you (or me) to remove .dll files. It may give you the old "Permission Denied" response when you try to delete the original MSOE.dll file.

That's the reason, why, one of the first things I do when setting up a Windows 7 or 8 PC, is to install "Grant Admin Full Control".
    That puts that same comment into your Right Click drop down menu.
    Then, you can right click on any file or folder and make yourself the owner of that file or folder.
    You can get that program (it's a registry script) here:
    https://www.box.com/s/hfjzhq3z64e2f475dvn1

Good Luck and Happy Computing!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

bellboy (2013-04-28),jorge laverde (2013-05-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good info, thanks DrWho