5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error accessing file. Network connection (Access 2000 ( 9.0.4402 SR-1 ))

This subject has come up lately and I just want to throw this out as a heads up and definite maybe as a source of the problem.
    Having picked up on the idea of using MDE files from current posts I decided to follow suit. Not being sure of the procedure as well as being anal, I COPIED and PASTED the database that I wanted to work on. I applied the Tools/MDE creation routine to the PASTED version and eventually Access came back with one of its more illuminating messages:
    "Microsoft Access was unable to create an MDE database". Whoopee! Not hello, goodbye, kiss my butt, just that message. That really clarified the situation.
    So, figuring maybe there might be some coding problems, I went to Debug Compile on my PASTED version, and bingo, got the infamous "Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost" message.
    So, throwing caution to the winds, I went to Debug Compile on my ORIGINAL version with no problems, and then I applied the Tools/MDE creation routine to the cleanly compiled ORIGINAL version with no problems, and voila, a nice, neat, clean, unmessaged MDE file.
    Go figure. Like I mentioned, this may just be an aberration, but might be worth considering when someone runs into this problem.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error accessing file. Network connection (Access 2000 ( 9.0.4402 SR-1

As you discovered, the error doesn't come up all the time. I worked with Access 2k and Access XP on the same machine for a week or so before it bit me. Most of my databases were OK. The critical one for a client was toast.

I could open the original and work in it, but anything I exported from it was corrupted. A new copy from the client's server showed the same symptoms--it was OK but I couldn't import or export any forms, reports, or modules reliably. The VBE itself behaved peculiarly at times.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Charlotte:

Any idea how to resolve this problem? I too am getting these same errors. I often have to update client databases, and after writing the new modules in the original database, I simply create a new blank database, import the new modules and send this to the customer to import into their database. I certainly don't want to have to send them a revised version of the complete database every time I do a small update.

I really didn't notice this problem until after I installed Windows XP. I currently have Access 97, 2000 and XP installed and have been having no problems until just recently. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    John
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've got some experts looking into it. It appears that not everyone runs into the problem, or at least not all the time. I didn't see it at first either, but when it hit, it was critical. For now, I uninstalled XP, which broke my MOD 2000 installation but at least stopped corrupting my Access 2000 databases.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Thanks Charlotte. Yes, it sure is critical. After finding Microsoft's Knowledge Base article on this topic, I tried their suggestion - ie. import the modules into a blank database, compile the database, and then save. Then, after closing it and reopening it, everything was fine. Tried this same procedure on a few other databases, and at least in my case, their suggestion seems to be working. Hopefully there will be some permanent solution forthcoming from Microsoft in addition to this workaround. Will keep my fingers crossed.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad it worked for you, because it definitely did *not* work for me. When I imported the objects, I could not compile the database at all.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Had some fun and games with this as well. It caused me much grief and lost me about a days work. I am using Win XP and Access 2000.

Basically, I have a couple of databases that are almost the same, but not quite. Often I will make an enhancement in one which will be required in the others. If it is in a module the easiest thing was always to do the work in one DB, then in the others, delete the module and import the updated one. However recently when I imported and then compacted I would get a message saying something like 'unable to find the procedure the database is looking for'

I ended up copying and pasting code snippets from one database to another but that was a bit messy.

Anyway, I read the above posts the other day and thought I would try importing, compiling and THEN compacting. This seems to work without any errors.

Love the lounge