Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Google home page "cannot be displayed" (Win 8.1)

My granddaughter's Win 8.1 computer suddenly can't go to her home page, www.google.com, in Internet Explorer. We get the error message, "Page cannot be displayed." Other Web pages display just fine: Apple.com, MSN.com, Disney.com, and so on. I inspected her list of installed programs in Control Panel, but did not find anything out of the ordinary. I don't see any evidence of viruses or trojans. I ran system restore to a restore point from early in the week (well before the problem started).

Any suggestions?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try setting the home page to https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

Thanks
    I assume you are using IE here and Google is the default search engine. Go to Tools>Manage add ons>Search providers to check that it is. Next, in Tools, go to Internet Options and check that the default home page is correct. If the Search Engine has been changed, run AdwCleaner as below.

Download and run CCleaner free, then try to access the home page.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Copy and paste the following into the address bar and Enter.

about:NoAdd-ons

Follow the instructions to try and access the Home Page. If it now works, one of your add ons may be corrupt or out of date and you will need to find the culprit by using Manage add ons.

Go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and click on Reset Internet Explorer settings. Some add ons may require re-starting afterwards and the home page and Search Engine will require resetting.

Download and run AdwCleaner. This runs from the downloaded file and doesn't need to be installed. Delete it when you've finished with it. If it finds a PUP, you may need to reset the Search Engine and home page after using it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Download and run Malwarebytes free to check for anything else that may be lurking.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2015-06-20 at 05:35.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Caesar3 (2015-06-20)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    A new day has begun, and I think your advice has already worked some magic. I started at the beginning of your tip. Her home page was in fact set for the Google search page, but Google was not her default search engine. The only search engine that appeared was Bing. I fixed that problem, and right away her home page worked.

I've run CCleaner as you recommended. That seemed to sweep out a lot of debris. I'm going to run through the rest of your recommendations, just to be sure. Thank you very much!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could also delete all IE cache files - you may have a corruption. Cog > Internet Options > General, click the Delete button under Browsing History.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Twice today, the problem has returned. Tonight, my granddaughter showed me that she can't open anything on YouTube, which is part of the Google family. I've done everything I can think of, plus everything that's been recommended here. I'm missing something, but I can't figure it out.

In my reading last night, I glimpsed a post (not necessarily in this forum) that pointed to problems with a particular Windows Update item from back in April. I can't imagine why an update installed in April would start a problem in late June, but ... ?

For the time being, I've given up on Internet Explorer and installed Google's own Chrome browser. Search works, of course, and so does YouTube. At least they work tonight. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
    Last edited by Caesar3; 2015-06-20 at 22:27. Reason: To add more information.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would take a look at your security software.

Most have logs you can view to see what, if anything, it might be blocking.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem seems to have become more serious. This morning, I found the machine unable to connect to any network—Ethernet, Wi-Fi: all out of order. The network connectivity applet reports it cannot connect. The Ethernet reports an "unknown network," but without an Internet connection.

My only thought now is that I'll need to restore the machine to its factory settings. Any other suggestions?

JWoods: It appears the only security software is what came installed from the factory—Defender or whatever you call it. I'll be out most of the day, but I'll be back later today. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
    Try turning off the router. Leave it for a few minutes and then restart.

Thanks
    I don't know if anyone else is here today so,
    I would try a System Restore to a point when no problems were present.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What's the connectivity like when you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking ? http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boo...s-8-windows-81

If it works in that mode then see what it is like in a clean boot https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135

If you can connect in Safe Mode but not in a clean boot, that tends to point to active security programs as they can't be isolated in a clean boot.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I considered resetting the router, but the problem seems to be isolated to this one computer. I use my MacBook Pro on the same network, and I have no problem. My grandson has a Win7 machine that uses the same network, and he has no problem. Plus there are several iPhones that use the same network. The only system that exhibits this problem is my granddaughter's Windows 8.1 computer. So I'm going to hold off on turning off the router for now. Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since the issue has expanded, and you have checked for malware, there may be some corruption involved.

I would do two things...

Open an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command prompt.

1. Run the command CHKDSK /V and see if any errors are found.

2. Run the command SFC /SCANNOW. If it finds errors it cannot correct, run the command (you can copy and paste it into the command window)...

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > "%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will create a file on your Desktop called sfcdetails.txt.

You can attach this file in a post for further analysis by a helper.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It seems to be a quirk of DHCP that while other devices work okay, a power cycle can restore connectivity for one machine that has connectivity problems.

Did you try the machine in Safe Mode with Networking to see if the machine connects ?

When you get Unknown Device it's usually a driver problem, but for both Wireless and Ethernet to go out is unusual.

Can you go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and look for any yellow alerts, red crosses or black downward pointing arrows ?

If you get connectivity in Safe Mode with Networking then the drivers will be okay, so then perform a clean boot and check connectivity.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Tonight I power-cycled the router (nothing else has worked, so why not?), and guess what—everything's peachy now. I have no way to know whether anything I've done resulted in a miracle cure. But at least for now, we're back in business.

jwoods and Sudo15: I'm going to follow the steps you've so nicely outlined and look for what went wrong. This is good stuff that I knew nothing about before. Windows 8 is new territory for me, so this is very helpful.

Now we'll see what happens tomorrow morning! Thank you, everybody!