New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I do a clean reinstall of IE 10 on Windows 8?

I've been having endless problems with IE 10, which I installed along with Windows 8. I'd like to wipe it and do a clean reinstall, but haven't been able to figure out how to do that. (I know, I should use a different browser, but there are reasons why I prefer IE if I can make it work consistently.)

Thanks for any help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can disable it at Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on or off; and then re-enable it to see if that makes a difference.

But you may need to explain the specific problems you have with IE10.

Bruce

Thanks
    I have heard of very few problems with IE 10 on Win 8. There are problems on Win 7, although the squeaky wheel principle is most likely in affect here. We hear about the problems, but never hear of the Win 7 installations that are working well with IE 10. The desktop PC I just sold had a clean install of Win 7 HP and had IE 10. It worked perfectly. I suspect many of the problems are caused by interactions with other installed apps and devices.

Was your Win 8 installation from a download or a DVD?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Often addons are the cause of issue with IE. Try running IE with addons disabled - Iexplore.exe -extoff.

Joe

Thanks
    Also, try Compatibility view for problematic sites. Click on the torn page icon at the right of the address bar.

Jerry

Thanks
    But you may need to explain the specific problems you have with IE10.
    This (above statement) would be a good starting point.
    I know I prefer and rely on IE 10 in Windows 8, above any other browser, but have only experience minor inconveniences with it.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-04-29 at 23:39.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I think Jerry might have hit on the solution. I set Compatibility Mode in the F12 Developer Section, which then affects all web sites. Or using the icon in the Address Bar will affect each web site separately. Some web sites have been updated for use with IE 10, some have not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Disabling it in Control Panel doesn't uninstall it, it just hides it from view. I installed Windows 8 from a disk and believe IE 10 came with. My problem isn't specific pages, but rather that it's constantly freezing up. I think the problem is that there is some malware that's attached itself - I've disabled all add-ons, but there are a couple that refuse to be disabled, and none of the normal programs for removing malware even see the problem. Hence, I'd like to uninstall it completely and do a clean reinstall, but have not been able to figure out a way to do that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can not uninstall IE10 since it is supplied as part of Windows 8. You'd have to reinstall Windows 8.

Try running "SFC /scannow" from an elevated command prompt.

Does the "freezing up" happen on specific web sites?
    What are the addons that refuse to be disabled?
    Did you run IE with addons disabled from the command line or just disable them using the IE UI?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I have heard of very few problems with IE 10 on Win 8.
    I just experienced a relationship ending "feature" of Internet Explorer 10 that has pushed me into the waiting arms of Firefox and Chrome.

I'm a developer so I mess around with the advanced properties of IE once and a while. Well, whatever changes I last applied has made my browser temperamental as all hell. She crashes every.. oh.. 2 or 3 minutes!

Oh well. I can just reset it to factory default and we'll be right as rain, right?

But when you click the "reset" function from the browser's "internet options" > "advanced" tab, it requires all windows to be closed. Well I can't close my IE window with a friggin modal window overlapping it and hijacking control of the screen. Where's Clippy when you need him? But, THANK THE LORDS there's a helpful link in the error message.

Clicking the link takes you to a smug little hipster page that says you must use "IE10 for the Desktop" to reset the settings.

I didn't even know I had two versions of IE... But... ok. After a trip to google, I find the desktop version of IE10. But where's the address bar? and the settings? After a few more googles (yes, that's plural google... and yes it's plural google as a verb... or is it Googli...), I finally locate the internet options area. Kewl. Now where's that damned advanced tab.... searching.... searching..... still friggin searching....

Turns out I can't find this mother truckin setting anywhere in the internet options. The"advanced" tab is so friggin advanced that it's not even on the screen! ... Back to Google....

But, alas, Google has failed me. 10 sets of search criteria, painstakingly clicking link after link for 10 pages turns up nothing useful.

Well hell. Ok. Let's readjust. I thought maybe I could just use one of those repair tools that "repaired" previous versions of IE. After another round of google provides me a tool right from the blue beast themselves... I download, fire it up, and fail. It doesn't work w/ IE10. I think its this point I send a rather crude expletive into my employers air space.

Relax... Goos fra ba.... Ok then, Maybe I could just uninstall/reinstall it all together. That surely will do the trick. What do you think Google?

I find a TechNet... scroll through it... "I have this problem. Can you help?".... "The problem here is... yada yada... IE10 can't be uninstalled from Windows 8. Only 'turned off'.

At this point I may or may not have called my machine something that rhymes with brother muckin sock pluckin piece of mit broke class garbage... yada... yada

So... Here we are. On Friday... almost 5... 3 or 4 hours wasted... writing this post and fiddle trucking with IE... venting... and telling you that IE10 CAN in fact be a huge POS like other IE versions.

Cheers!

Thanks
    You could have gotten to internet options via the Control Panel. No need to have IE open. You should find reset under :
    Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced tab.

Jerry