Thanks

Zip files causing problems

I started getting problems in file explorer (I've got Win 8 Pro), whereby it would stop responding for a while when going to different folders. I did an SFC /scannow, and also ran Malwarebytes (which both cleared some issues), but with no change. However, after a bit of trial and error, it seems that when I go into a zip file (using file explorer's facility) it then starts being awkward. If I navigate around various folders before going into a zip file, then all seems well. Are there any issues with File Explorer's zip file facility. And would downloading, say, 7-Zip and using that solve the problem? Indeed, are there better archive programs than 7-Zip (free is better in my book!).

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Since WinRar went rogue, (full retail) I've been using 7Zip, which so far is still FREE. It even does some things a lot easier than WinRar or even WinZip.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I should have said that the problem has gone away. I suspect that Malwarebytes killed something which may have been causing it. I've also downloaded 7-Zip as well!

Thanks
    7-Zip here as well. It works very well for all my Zip needs. And best of all, it's FREE!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Curious man here...

I think you are describing a similar problem I have on both Vista x64 and 7 x32... Allow me to elaborate.

I have performance counter software on all of my machines, so I get visual feedback constantly as to what is happening.

I regularly use Compressed folders- NOT ZIP folders, but the Properties-> Compress option.

I have multitudes of real ZIP files. And RAR, LHA, etc.

Sometimes my machine will totally freeze. My cursor will switch to the 'working in background' for a moment before locking.

This can go on for upto a full minute or longer.

Without warning, the machine will snap out of it and rapidly execute any and all keypresses from when it was locked.

My performance counters show that my hard drive peaks at 100% utilization and both CPU cores jump for a moment before dropping just as the machines locks.

This typically happens when I run BitTorrent. I have gone to great lengths to get torrents as fast as possible. I have the download folder compressed. I have a massive RAM cache for bittorrent. I download upto 5 megs/sec across upto 10 torrents. I also run a dedicated VM for my wife. My machine specs for this task? Vista x64, 2.2Ghz dual core, 4Gig ram, single 320Gig HD, dual screens, Intel built-ins for everything. I recently started using ReadyBoost on this machine and saw a huge improvement in responsiveness, but it also blue screens my machine every few days. Removing the ReadyBoost thumbdrive makes the machine sluggish, but no more blue screens.

I think I might finally be trying too hard with this machine...

My other machine, W7 x32, 1.6Ghz dual core, 2Gig ram, dual 80Gig IDE HD, NVidia video, does the same thing.

I was wondering if physically turning the option off within Windows to open ZIP files would help?

Is this similar to what you are experiencing? Sorry to post so much, but I want to make sure I have the same symptoms...

Thanks
    Similarities but not the same. Mine was opening a zip in windows, when it became sluggish, not only for the zip but other folders as well. Shutting file explorer down then reopening it cleared the problem and as long as I didn't open a zip, no further problems. Although I said that Malwarebytes hadn't solved the problem, I inadvertently restarted the PC after this (don't ask!) and the problem had resolved itself, so I had probably needed to restart the PC to finalise what MB did. I don't use BitTorrent, so that wasn't a cause. Perhaps you need to try scannow and Malwarebytes (and anything else you favour for this sort of clean).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Me too, been using 7zip as an alternative.. Does the job.

Thanks
    I've tried 7zip and found it limited, have gone back to WinRAR/WinZip and have never had an issue.
    Install and forget. I'm almost certain I'm using an older version though.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Probably, because WinRar is no longer a FREE program.
    Download it today, and you get a 40 day trial, then it gets darn Expensive!

I've been using 7Zip for years and actually find it simpler and more flexible than WinRar.

So please inform me and the rest of the readers, why you say it's "Limited".
    Curious minds want to know!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, WinRar will say "Pay for me" after 40 days, but it still works 100%. They just add a single nag screen. And if you can do your task through the right click menu, you don't even see the nag screen.

I enjoy WinRar, but have yet to find another unRAR'r program that has all the same features. I may not have looked hard...

the recovery record option has saved me countless times when a CD was scratched.