New Lounger
    Thanks

Clean install Upgrade of Windows 8 (OEM) to Windows 8 Pro

My aim is to do a “clean install with EUFI” upgrade of the current operating system Win 8 (OEM) on a new Asus ET2701 to Win 8 Pro. I have purchased a retail version of Windows 8 Pro Upgrade disk.

I did not receive any software disks with my purchase of the hardware. The hard drive contained 5 partitions (which included a hidden recovery partition) and I have added a number of other partitions using Terabytes Bootit Baremetal.
    I see that I need to make the installation to a “blank, partition free” hard drive (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html). I have booted from the Win 8 Pro disk with EUFI bios ok and looked at the installation procedure.

My concern is that if I delete ALL the partitions on my hard drive (and I assume that this means the recovery partition as well) during the installation process that should the installation fail for whatever reason then I won’t have a legitimate copy of windows on my hard drive to try a subsequent upgrade. Am I right in having this reservation or would I be able to have a second try at the upgrade only this time the hard drive would be “empty” prior to commencement of the upgrade.

I have made images of the recovery partition and the operating partition using Bootit Baremetal and located these images on an external usb drive. I am not familiar with the new partition type “GPT” that is associated with EUFI bios so I am not certain if I will be able to re-install the partitions should my initial installation attempt fail.

So my queries are:

a) Is it ok to upgrade win 8 (OEM) to win 8 pro?
    b) Do I need to delete ALL partitions on the hard drive as part of the Win 8 Pro upgrade procedure
    c) Will the image files that I have made, (“operating system” and “recovery partition”), enable me to “restore” a bootable partition to the hard drive if the upgrade attempt fails, following deletion of all the original partitions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Murdo and welcome to this Lounge.

Have a peek at this URL. It will answer all your queries. You did not say what type of backup you have done to this USB drive ???

Here is the URL : http://support.microsoft.com/get-sup...-problem-areas

Jean.

Thanks
    Use a good 3rd party Imaging app to create an Image of your whole system in it's present state.

Since you have Win 8 OEM, simply choose the Custom Install option when you insert the DVD. During the installation, the next screen allows you to choose Drive Options (Advanced). Highlight the partition that presently holds your Win 8 OEM installation, then choose Format. This will in essence install Win 8 Pro into a blank partition as the present OEM installation will be formatted. There should be no need to do a clean install without any partitions. Just upgrade the present OEM installation with the Pro installation without touching any other partitions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As my good old mum would say when you have a problem go to bed and sleep on it and the answer will come to you in the morning. How right she was. I did my (first) post before retiring last night (downunder) and lo and behold when I woke this morning I have my answer.
    Thanks for your (very) prompt responses. I really appreciate the help. I will let you know the outcome in due course - but it may be a little while as I am just about to go on holidays. And Jean I used TBWinRE (part of the Terabyte partitioning software) for the back up. This software is new to me. I have used their Bootit partitioning software on Win XP but have no experience on Win8

Thanks again.

murdo

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, murdo, downunder.
    I have not used TBWinRE much. I go for clones all the time and use Acronis as my main app. In my mind, a clone is the real answer, I am biased. To me this is the ultimate protection and a clone-back if ever needed is straight forward, no need to pick and choose any folders/files, it gets reinstated in one lump when using a clone. Others here go for images, a very personal choice. I tried imaging on a RAID 1 TB usb device but got back to cloning.
    In both my W-8 machines, I got rid of the start screen and I am back in W-7 territory. Say hi to your old mum for me. Jean.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

murdo (2013-05-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Jean. I will need to do some further study on imaging/cloning of Win8. I have used Bootit on the recommendation of Fred Langa for as long as I can remember. It worked well on WinXP. I am just a little hesitant with the new GPT partition on Win8.
    Visited your city about 5 years ago when staying with our son in Cleveland OH. One could be forgiven for thinking you were in Melbourne (Aust) they are just so similar. A great place to visit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdo View Post
    Yes Jean. I will need to do some further study on imaging/cloning of Win8. I have used Bootit on the recommendation of Fred Langa for as long as I can remember. It worked well on WinXP. I am just a little hesitant with the new GPT partition on Win8.
    No need to worry about GPT. I have also been using BootIt for over a decade. I upgraded to BootIt Bare Metal a couple of years ago. Same great functionality, and they've separated the imaging part of it into Image for DOS, which is part of the package. When one selects imaging, it merely opens a GUI from within BootIt. The image files are now *.TBI instead of *.IMG, and they are also used by Image for Windows.

The only real difference is that BootIt cannot be installed on a GPT disk, so it must be run from CD/USB instead. But it still works just as well. Image for Windows, on the other hand, installs in and runs from Windows nicely. It's just as reliable as Image for DOS and the BootItNG imaging before it. The way I tinker with Windows, I do a lot of imaging and restoring, and TeraByte has never failed me.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

murdo (2013-05-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info bbearren. A bit of re-assurance goes a long way.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    murdo, good morning, it is here. >>> I will need to do some further study on imaging/cloning of Win8. <<<

I just can not see the point of imaging vs cloning. Sure, doing images allows one to have many images on the same USB device but the last image is THE important one. Then one has to navigate the image and select what one wants, this can be done with one click when doing a clone and again the last one is the important one. I have dedicated a few USB devices to all the machines that I IT for. Sure, YMMV but with Acronis or any other back up SW, a clone fills my need. If I want to go back to a stable condition, the last one is important. Doing a clone will flush the USB HD and there you go !

My son gave me a USB G-Drive, RAID qualified and a clone sure goes fast, but I used it to do images and this convinced me that cloning is the answer. Some of the images would not restore a machine, a clone has never faulted me. Be good. Jean.

Thanks
    Doing a differential image backup allows me to keep several backups with minimum backup space usage. Then If I realize I need a file I deleted a couple of weeks ago, I can retrieve it. Also, you can pick up a bad virus and not realize it for several backup times.

That said, I haven't had to resort to an image restore except for one bad Windows 8 planned upgrade. I just feel more comfortable with multiple backup points just in case. There's no one right way to do backups.

Jerry