Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet access shuts down after three hours

Sometimes it seems that trying to solve PC problems is like the proverbial looking-for-a-needle-in-a-haystack – there are so many variables, ifs and buts.

Anyway, in the hope that someone has experienced similar...

Two to three hours after boot up I now always lose Internet access (didn’t several months or so back). I am still connected and the wi-fi is still working well enough for my smartphone to download my emails and so on (with its ‘mobile data’ mode disabled).

Doing the Windows Network Diagnostics resolves nothing. What it does entail is a tedious restart of my Acer Aspire with Win 7 Home Premium and then all is OK – for another two-to-three hours.

Quite honestly, for a tech-illiterate to keep doing a Windows restore to previous dates (until when?)and losing all my other updates etc to find and maybe, maybe, eliminate what has caused this is just not worth it. I’ll just grind my teeth and live with the stressful frustration until I resentfully buy a new machine with the abhorrent Windows Hate (8).

You never know, I might just be lucky in that the expertise here can show me a simpler way of resolving this. Please...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have the latest network card drivers?

Are there other computers connected to the network?

It won't solve it, but by going into device manager, disabling the adapter and then enabling it again, you may avoid the need to restart the laptop, when that happens.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

timsinc (2013-04-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The network device is up to date and there are no other computers connected - just my Galaxy S3.

Thanks for the tip about disabling the adapter - but isn't that what the network diagnostics routine does? It says it is re-setting it and I temporarily lose connectivity.

Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    The network device is up to date and there are no other computers connected - just my Galaxy S3.
    Shame, if there were, you could check whether you could still connect to other computers in the local network.

Thanks for the tip about disabling the adapter - but isn't that what the network diagnostics routine does? It says it is re-setting it and I temporarily lose connectivity.
    To be honest, I am not sure it does that.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Was wondering whether posts such as chepphimga (above) get moderated.

Thanks
    They will, soon, I hope

Administrator
    Thanks
    All dealt with. This was an aggressive spammer!
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-05-03),IGotItHereSomewhere (2013-05-03),satrow (2013-04-30),timsinc (2013-04-30)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem with one of my staff and their Lenovo laptop - after about 8 minutes the WWAN link would drop the connection. After trying a dozen things I restored it back to a time about 4 months earlier which fixed it, untill I brought it back up to the current patch level.
    Ultimately it turned out that Lenovo had added a download for Cisco's VPN, which we weren't using at the time. Uninstalling it fixed the problem.
    Possibly your problem is similar, something installed thats conflicting with your internet? Try restoring to an point in time before the problem began.
    This was horrible to diagnose - make a change then reboot, and let it run for a half hour or so to see if the problem was still there, then repeat...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac56 View Post
    Try restoring to an point in time before the problem began.
    This was horrible to diagnose - make a change then reboot, and let it run for a half hour or so to see if the problem was still there, then repeat...
    Hmm...that is what I feared. And right now I've just not got the time (or inclination really!) to spend on it. Funnily, today my connection has lasted, so far, for four hours.

Thanks anyway for the advice.

Tim

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm afraid that if you want to fix it, you are going to have to run some diagnostics.

While the internet is working, open a command prompt (go to Start and enter "CMD" in the Search Programs and Files text box). In the Command Prompt window enter "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and take a note of the result. Then when the problem occurs again, run the same command and compare the two results.

This will establish if you have a network connection issue or a router problem.

If it is a router issue, the best course of action is to swap it out for a known good one. Maybe twist the arm of you ISP to send you a new one.

If it is a network disconnect {you can tell this very easily if the IPv4 address comes back as an APIPA address such as 169.254.x.x as opposed to 192.168.1.1 or similar} then you may have a fault network card in the machine. It's not clear if it is a laptop or desktop, but assuming a laptop for a moment; if it appears to be a network issue, as identified by the APIPA address above try connecting via the ethernet port while the problem exists and run the ipconfig command again. Do you see an APIPA address on the ethernet port too?
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

IGotItHereSomewhere (2013-05-03),timsinc (2013-05-01)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Tinto Tech. I did the CMD routine and found that with Internet access and without (had just lost it now) the IPv4 address was the same. Disabling and re-enabling network devices didn't cure things either. Have had to do a reboot.

So it could be the router. Well at the moment I am using a MiFi dongle device, although in 14 days time I'll be moving to a property with a landline and broadband proper. What I cannot understand is why it happens after a certain length of time and why my smartphone still has Internet access using the same MiFi. It's the computer reboot that solves it - not a MiFi reboot.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are there any events that could she some light, in Event Viewer? Can you take a look at warnings and errors and check whether they are network related?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 installed, remove it. Test. If no improvement replace Microsoft TCP/IP version 6.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Try looking in power settings for your dongle properties. Look to see if anything is set to allow device to power off to save energy.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am really grateful for the suggestions, but as a tech-illiterate I'm baffled. I didn't know where to start looking in the long menu and sub menus of the Event Viewer. I do not know where to find TCP/IP. Under the 'dongle' (3mobile WiFi-362d) properties I found no option about powering off.

Like I said in the OP, like looking for a needle in haystack!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast