Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't want Windows Photo Viewer

I usually use IrfanView to view image files. It's set as the default viewer for most picture types. If I double-click on a JPG file, it launches IrfanView -- **unless** that JPG file is on a camera. Then it launches Windows Photo Viewer, which I find pretty useless.

I've checked the Program Defaults and everything is set as it should be. Windows Photo Viewer doesn't have any defaults except .jfif, which I can't unselect.

How do I get Windows to use IrfanView (or whatever viewer I choose) all the time, whether the file is on a camera or not??

Gary
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfritz View Post

I've checked the Program Defaults and everything is set as it should be. Windows Photo Viewer doesn't have any defaults except .jfif, which I can't unselect.
    Gary,
    Hello... If you go to Control Panel>Default Programs>Change Auto Play Settings>Pictures> Then select "Choose a default" from dropdown ...You should see your IrfanView listed there... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hm, thanks Fred. But I don't think this is an auto-play issue?

* Auto-play affects what happens when you plug in the camera (right?). I'm talking about what happens when I double-click on a JPG file in the camera.
    * Auto-play currently says "Ask me every time" for pictures -- but it doesn't do ANYthing. It just plays the "badoink" you-plugged-something-in sound.
    * IrfanView is not listed as one of the options there. And neither is Windows Photo Viewer, for that matter.

Autoplay.gif

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

* IrfanView is not listed as one of the options there. And neither is Windows Photo Viewer, for that matter.
    Gary,
    Hello... If you go to "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" scroll down to JPEG click on it and select change program.... is IrfanView listed there? Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup. As I said, double-clicking on JPG files launches IrfanView just fine... unless the JPG is in a camera.

Irfan.gif

IrfanView was listed as the default program for just about everything. Microsoft Photo Viewer was only listed for .jfif. Just to be sure I changed .jfif to IrfanView. Now MPV is not associated with ANY file type, but it still launches MPV if I double-click on a JPG in the camera.

Thanks
    Get in the habit of moving all your JPG's off the camera and on to the computer before opening them for editing/manipulations.
    Your camera drive will always be considerably slower than your own computer hard disk drive.

Otherwise it'll always end up being a "plug & play/autoplay" issue. In which case you'll need to make the mod Fred mentions, if you
    actually can associate IrfanView in that context. (somewhat doubtful)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-04-29 at 23:59.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup.
    IrfanView was listed as the default program for just about everything. Microsoft Photo Viewer was only listed for .jfif. Just to be sure I changed .jfif to IrfanView. Now MPV is not associated with ANY file type, but it still launches MPV if I double-click on a JPG in the camera.
    Gary,
    Hello... This might be a bit "out there" for you and If you don't want to try this .....well i get it ( this is what i would try as a first step...Keeping in mind that I'm insane)

1. Take a full System Image ...store it someplace safe..
    2. Go to program files and "Take ownership " of Windows Photo Viewer"
    3. Rename "Windows Photo Viewer" to something like "Windows Photo Viewer1"
    4. Try to click on the JPEG in your camera.... see what happens..

If your not sure how to do any of these ...post back Regards Fred

PS: What I'm trying to accomplish is "Disabling" Windows Photo Viewer without doing anything drastic...like removing it completely.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-04-30 at 08:29.
    PlainFred

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

garyfritz (2013-04-30)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found two instances of "Windows Photo Viewer," both folders, under C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86). Each had an executable "ImagingDevices.exe" in it. But to be safe I renamed the folder -- and that worked! I'm surprised it didn't generate an error, since apparently SOMEthing was pointing to one of those MPV instances. But it didn't. Now when I double-click on a JPG in the camera, it works just like any other JPG and opens it in IrfanView.

So that's great!

But there is still something odd going on. When it was launching WPV, I couldn't step from one image in the camera to the next because WPV wasn't directly viewing files on the camera -- it was viewing files in C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\WPDNSE\{long string of hex digits}. It only copied one or a few files from the camera to the WPDNSE folder, so you couldn't view all of the files in the camera by stepping through the files. I had hoped that was WPV's fault, but IrfanView is doing the same thing.

Apparently when you open a file from the camera, it copies it to that WPDNSE folder. Why? No idea. I don't know why it doesn't treat the camera like any other USB storage device. I'm pretty sure it never did this in earlier versions of Windows.

WPDNSE is a special folder of some kind, but nobody seems to know much about it. See e.g. http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/wpd...-t2705241.html
    In that thread they said it was related to / caused by Windows Media Player. But in this case it's involved with a camera USB device for some reason.
    See also http://www.aerotaskforce.com/view/1186

Any idea how to get rid of this very inconvenient WPDNSE behavior, and have Windows treat a camera like any other USB storage device?

Thanks
    Could you just not put the card from the camera into the card reader on the PC (I assume it has one). Then it should work as you want.....

Or maybe not....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

garyfritz (2013-04-30)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I could. Probably a lot easier than trying to get Windoze to behave rationally...

Thanks
    That is the way I do it. It seems easier than finding the connector wire to run between the camera and the PC. LOL. That pesky connector is always at the bottom of the drawer when I go digging for it. The SD Card is easy to just plug into the PC. I can manipulate the files any way I wish using this method outside the camera environment.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think WPV is fine for a first run through of pics

I always go through the digital photos on my SD card (plugged into a socket on my notebook) and use it to delete the obvious deletions, rotate vertical pictures etc. Later processing I do with Graphic Workshop. I find the combination of the two works well. Maybe the same would be true of MPV and IrfanView.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    That is the way I do it. It seems easier than finding the connector wire to run between the camera and the PC. LOL. That pesky connector is always at the bottom of the drawer when I go digging for it. The SD Card is easy to just plug into the PC. I can manipulate the files any way I wish using this method outside the camera environment.
    "Great Minds, like Soup, run together"

My first digital camera came with one of those little Mickey Mouse USB cables. I didn't like it then and have no idea where it's at today. But my solution to taking digital pictures is to NEVER buy any digital camera without a removable SD memory card. When I go to an EVENT like Bike Week, I take extra memory cards and extra batteries along.

So I snatch the SD card out of the camera and plug it into the little card slot on the front of my PC. Then as soon as the card comes up on my desktop, I get that folder that starts with 100????? and move it to my desktop. Now that I've got my pictures on my computer, I can put the card back in the camera and set it aside, and, the SD card is now empty and ready for the next photo shoot.

There are many FREE graphics programs that people use to manipulate and massage their photos and I won't go through the list, but, I too found the picture viewer program in Windows seriously wanting. My software GURU suggested that I use a small, fast, program from France called "Photo Filtre". I installed it that day and I've never looked back.
    For me, it does everything that a very expensive program like "Photo Shop" would do.
    You can get 'Photo Filtre' here: https://www.box.com/shared/x96pr3rxkn

With a shortcut to it in my Quick Launch Toolbar (the Taskbar, on Windows 8) it's always just one click away.
    When you (I) first install Photo Filtre, it does NOT try to take over the computer as so many programs do.
    I have to go into file associations and make it the default program for ALL Picture File Types. ALL, not just one or two.
    With that little inconvenience out of the way, working with pictures is a real pleasure. PF is so quick and easy to use.
    I use it for doing screen captures as well. It's fabulous!

Does it work for all OS's? Even Windows 8? OH, heck YES!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Picasa also does some simple editing (and not so simple too). But if you want software which has much of the facilities of Photoshop, then get the Gimp. It's £400 cheaper than PS (assuming PS is £400!). It probably has a steeper learning curve than PF, but it's horses for courses. There's plenty of other free photo editing packages out there.