Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Recommend heat monitor?

PC turned off today twice. I noticed it was running warm just by touch. I opened it up (1st time since new, 2 years) Vacuumed it out and then plugged it in to check fan and all appeared proper. Anybody using a heat monitoring application. Something simple/frree.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Try HWMonitor, it keeps tabs on temps and voltages.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2013-05-01)

Thanks
    HWMonitor here as well, it's free and utilizes many, if not all, onboard sensors.
    The more sophisticated your motherboard, the more monitoring sensors you'll have, irrigardless of the specific monitoring app you've installed. (usually)

A few other tips & solutions to a hot running PC;
    Cleaning the dust and grime out on a regular basis is a standard must do, but if after doing so, you still find your running hot...

Try to locate exactly where you're running high temps. Sometimes it will be a simple matter of installing a fan on the Northbridge sink.
    Other times you may need to reseat a heatsink with new thermal paste, or even an upgraded after-market CPU fan & sink.

It will all depend upon where your running hot, so try to pinpoint specific internal locations, by both monitoring tool and by direct observation and touch.

If you have a hot GPU card that dumps heat inside the case, you'll need to look into fan/ventilation solutions that more adequately deal
    with removing excess internal case heat. Anything more than 50 C [idle] is usually a bit too much.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-04-29 at 22:32.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I've used Core Temp, which seems to be less comprehensive than HWmonitor in that it deals only with the CPU.

Note that Dell does not seem to have implemented temperature sensors on its desktop computers (at least).
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    Yeah, Dell is extremely limited, but they (MB sensors) are there to some extent, even on the desktop models.
    The majority of your temp monitoring tools are geared more to the enthusiast MB market, like Asus and others, and less so to the generic boards
    that Dell puts out. But if you have a higher end Dell gaming rig, you'll most certainly have the sensor capabilities. It just depends on the model in many instances.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Doesn't SIW have a temp/heat program

Thanks
    I think it does but it's one of those clean softwares that is frequently flagged up by antivirus software during download. It saves typing if you recommend something else

Thanks
    Well as my username suggests, not to smart as I have SIW but very seldom opened it. Yes indeed it does have a sensors heat info.

I downloaded HWmonitor yesterday and it had a weird glitch. I download all things to a USB drive and I did the install but when done I wanted to move the download to a folder on C: drive where I move all downloads of applications after installed. This rascal would not allow such a move so I ended up uninstalling it.

The good news so far is that after doing the vacuum clean inside PC all is running as it should (so far) "My bad" because it was purchased new 5/11 and not touched because I follow the "if it's not broke don't fix it" program. Reason being usually when I get done fixing something I have abused something else. Kind of a one step forward, 2 steps backward program.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Try HWMonitor, it keeps tabs on temps and voltages.
    Well 2nd time is the charm, got HW installed and like the simplicity of it.

Thanks
    Excellent, perhaps it, or the installer, was still running in the background yesterday, that would account for you not being able to movee it from the USB. Whatever, I'm pleased you have it working correctly now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Excellent, perhaps it, or the installer, was still running in the background yesterday, that would account for you not being able to movee it from the USB. Whatever, I'm pleased you have it working correctly now.
    Makes sense maybe next time I will just reboot before I uninstall Geeze I amaze myself at how stupid I can be, course I woirk hard at it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The free one I use that gives you more info than most folks need but has a nice graphical interface with green/red warnings is Piriform's Speccy:

http://www.piriform.com/

They're the folks that also have CCleaner.

Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I like RealTemp, but it's only for some Intel CPU's. I'll have to give HWmonitor a spin on my "toybox." I've used CPUID's CPU-Z and like it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You will find that most of these to NOT give accurate temp readings but do provide relative warning indications. To be clear, use an good, accurate infrared temp probe or surface contact type to determine your specific temps of your CPU sink which will be very close to core temp if the compound is solid and then correlate. Measure your hard disk drives as well just to be sure as heat destroys the bearing grease/lube if too high. Exhaust temps from the ps fan give you a good indication of its workload as well. Cheers.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Yeah, Dell is extremely limited, but they (MB sensors) are there to some extent, even on the desktop models.
    The majority of your temp monitoring tools are geared more to the enthusiast MB market, like Asus and others, and less so to the generic boards
    that Dell puts out. But if you have a higher end Dell gaming rig, you'll most certainly have the sensor capabilities. It just depends on the model in many instances.
    I have read before that Dell computers are somewhat lacking in heat sensors and other diagnostic tools. As all our PCs have been Dell, and my aging XP machine needs replacing soon, any suggestions as to a better brand to get as next would be welcome. Apologies for being somewhat off topic, just that this thread reminded me of something to look for in the new desktop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast