Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I've built the last two computers I've owned, so one can pick and choose the board and components one wants
    over what some manufacturer has on offer at that particular time.

Higher end systems will usually always have an abundance of sensors for fans, temps, and others, in more locations than
    lower end systems. I think you'll find that pretty much all of your lower end systems will have these limitations.

So before you purchase a new computer from a manufacturer, always do in depth research. Get MB spec sheets and pour
    over them likes there's no tomorrow. The last thing you want in a pricy purchase are surprises.
    Even if your not looking to get a higher end system, always do your research. Knowing proc and memory speed may not be enough.

There are also aftermarket solutions like fan controllers and temp sensors with LED readouts.
    Then there is the temp gun which can be pretty decent.

zzz.jpg
    As you can see from some of my temps, they're not always accurate.
    Sometimes the best way to get an idea of the REAL temps is to get your fingers in there and feel it.
    128 C is uncomfortably hot, you won't miss it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint, I reckon you have answered the question convincingly – I might as well buy another Dell.

There’s no way I’m going to build a PC myself, I wouldn’t know what to buy or where to start, and it would have to be twice the size of either of the desktops I have opened - even adding ram is difficult for my fingers in the confined space of a Dell desktop.

A high end system would be out of place for my fairly basic needs, and it sounds as though all cheaper desktops are fairly similar, so I don’t need to bother too much about what I get.

George

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey guys, HWMonitor shows a "hit" on Virustotal
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d...1ce7/analysis/
    showing up as "a variant of Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask.C"
    Do you get a chance to say no to that during install?

Thanks
    @ brino - yes, there are also zipped 32 and 64 -bit zipped versions available from my earlier link that contain only the executable file.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-05-21)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12