Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    What is the point of "Devices" in the charms bar?

    At work I have a Windows 8 Pro box as a secondary desktop which I keep for no reason other than to keep up to date with Microsoft's stupidity so that I can help those who went and got sucked in to purchasing what I consider to be the biggest joke Microsoft have played on the world to date.

    I've been using this monstrosity of an operating system on and off for about a month now and still can't for the life of me figure out what the point of "Devices" is in the Charms bar. (I only have Windows 8 because I provide tech support - if work didn't pay for this box, I wouldn't be persisting with it)

    Thinking logically, (probably my first mistake) one would think that you might click on Devices in order to manipulate the devices inside your computer. But there is no link for Device Manager to be found there? Just a link to "Second screen" which at time of writing this, there is none. Seems like a hell of a lot of real-estate to take up on the Charms bar for one single option so what am I missing?

    Perhaps the Windows 8 fan club here can explain the point of the "Devices" link.

    I know I can open Device Manager by pressing Windows + X or by searching for it in Settings, but I'm at a loss as to why a link to Device Manager isn't included in the "Devices" section of the charms bar.

    Anyone?

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The link should be contextual. The options offered will depend on the app in use when you choose the option.

    Paul Thurrott offered a bit more info on it: http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...-charms-142999
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  3. #3
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    6,121
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 609 Times in 557 Posts
    1. Windows 8 is not a joke. It's a very decent, stable, efficient, and highly usable OS. [fact]
    2. Take the time to actually learn how to use it before whining & complaining in public, and you'll find the Windows 8
    start area is still a work in progress that can easily be bypassed.

    We've taken the time to create or provide links for many great how-to articles in the sticky section of the Windows 8 forum. You should at least take the time to read them before spouting.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

  4. #4
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The link should be contextual. The options offered will depend on the app in use when you choose the option.

    Paul Thurrott offered a bit more info on it: http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...-charms-142999
    Thanks for the link Rurib.. I rarely use any of the apps so the option never changed for me.

    Cheers...

  5. #5
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    1. Windows 8 is not a joke. It's a very decent, stable, efficient, and highly usable OS. [fact]
    2. Take the time to actually learn how to use it before whining & complaining in public, and you'll find the Windows 8
    start area is still a work in progress that can easily be bypassed.

    We've taken the time to create or provide links for many great how-to articles in the sticky section of the Windows 8 forum. You should at least take the time to read them before spouting.
    X2, well said Clint!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  6. #6
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    1. Windows 8 is not a joke. It's a very decent, stable, efficient, and highly usable OS. [fact]
    I'm afraid you're wrong, CLiNT: that's not a fact (perhaps you should consult a dictionary), it's an opinion - just as much as the claim that Windows 8 IS a joke is an opinion. Everyone, of course, has the right to their opinion in such areas, but they really ought to recognize them for what they are rather than confuse them with some kind of absolute truth.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    6,121
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 609 Times in 557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post
    I'm afraid you're wrong, CLiNT: that's not a fact (perhaps you should consult a dictionary), it's an opinion - just as much as the claim that Windows 8 IS a joke is an opinion. Everyone, of course, has the right to their opinion in such areas, but they really ought to recognize them for what they are rather than confuse them with some kind of absolute truth.
    yes, it is a FACT bill.
    Windows 8 is very usable in the real world for any real world computer usage. It is NOT merely my opinion.

    Instead of endlessly whining and complaining about something, take the time to learn how it works and how to use it.
    This could apply to just about anything in life and not just a computer operating system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,746
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    We've taken the time to create or provide links for many great how-to articles in the sticky section of the Windows 8 forum. You should at least take the time to read them before spouting.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Instead of endlessly whining and complaining about something, take the time to learn how it works and how to use it.
    I thought that's what the OP was trying to do, but you didn't answer his question.

    The only mention of Devices in a Windows 8 sticky says, "Devices does just as it sounds."

    It's not unreasonable to think that it sounds as though it might lead to Device Manager for internal devices.


    The Help available within Windows 8 is truly awful. The most it says about Devices is:

    "• The Devices charm is a handy way to do things like send files and stream movies to TVs, printers, and other devices around your home."


    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    Perhaps the Windows 8 fan club here can explain the point of the "Devices" link.

    I know I can open Device Manager by pressing Windows + X or by searching for it in Settings, but I'm at a loss as to why a link to Device Manager isn't included in the "Devices" section of the charms bar.

    Anyone?
    I think if they hadn't made it a single word to keep the charms bar neat, it would be called External Devices:


    Devices

    You'll mainly use the Devices charm (Windows logo key+K) to set up printers and print documents, but you can also use it to sync info with your phone and stream video to your wireless TV. Open the charms and then tap or click Devices to see all the devices you’ve connected to your PC at any time.


    Windows 8 tutorial: Use the charms


    Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-04-30 at 12:23.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    6,121
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 609 Times in 557 Posts
    It should be well known by now that the start screen UI & charms bar area is a work in progress.
    So yes, in effect, this area of Windows 8 is pretty much useless on a desktop right now. Fixating on this fact is equally useless.

    Why any supposedly knowledgeable computer user would even think to use the device section of the charms bar to perform more advanced
    configurations on a desktop in light of these facts is a mystery. Especially when it is so easy to get to the real guts of the machine by
    simply right clicking on the lower left of the desktop's screen corner.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,746
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Very usable in the real world apart from the useless bits then?

    Settings charm leads to Control Panel. Why not Devices charm too?

    I guess you don't use start apps much if you find Devices quite that useless.

    Bruce

  11. #11
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    6,121
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 609 Times in 557 Posts
    The Charms bar area and the start screen is a work in progress. This is something you already know Bruce, or should at this point.
    You also know that these are separate user interfaces from the desktop.
    You also know that the best way configure desktop operations is through the desktop interface, NOT the Metro/start screen user interface, or charms bar.

    So give it a break already.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •