New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Outlook 2007: How to set "send from diff email" as default?

My client uses Gmail as his main email client. I moved him from the web based gmail to using Gmail within Outlook via IMAP. He can now send/receive gmail within Outlook BUT I noticed within gmail he was set to always send from a different email he owns of user@domain.com. I did a test by manually typing in the send FROM field: user@domain.com and it worked (received it in his user@gmail.com). My question is:

Within Outlook, how can I set the "send FROM" address as the default email to send from each time?

I know it will be tedious for him to keep manually typing in his user@domain.com in the send FROM field for each email he sends. BTW, this is not a real email account, it's just an account that was setup on his personal domain to forward all msg's to his gmail for. (if that makes sense)

Thanks!

Dan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

The default email address must be set as the default account in Outlook. Since the email address is "not real" you don't want Outlook to receive items. So, you need to modify the properties of the Send/Receive group for this email account to only send mail not receive mail.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. There is only 1 email address in Outlook though (gmail) so it is already set as default. Do you mean, I should try to add his other email (user@domain.com) into Outlook as a second email account and then set that account as default while making sure to not receive email via that account?

I'm not sure how to add a dummy email account in Outlook though. Won't it require me to type in an incoming/outgoing server and username/password for that account? Since it's just a dummy account that only forwards emails, it has no password and I'm not sure what the incoming/outgoing would be (if there's one) for that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, it requires you to setup another account in Outlook for the email address you wish to be the default. If Outlook can not automatically configure the account you'll need to know all the setup details. The domain host should be able to supply the correct parameters to setup the email. They are often on a support page.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I guess I thought it was as easy as adding the user@domain.com account in the web-based gmail. (Accounts tab - Send Mail As another email address you own) Here it lets you send mail through Gmail's smtp server. With this setup, my client never did need the server setup details of the account he wanted to send mail from.

So in Outlook, there's no such setup to "send mail as/from" as there is in web-based gmail? I asked the webmaster who manages/hosts his personal domain.com site and he said there is no associated password or smtp details for that email address since it's just a dummy one created solely for forwarding email to his gmail.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Doesn't the host of domain.com host his email user@domain.com also? Someone has to be hosting that email address. That means there has to be a mail server even if the email is just forwarded.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You need to create a second email account in Outlook which will have the user@domain.com email account information in it so that you can select it as the default email account.

First you need to create an exact copy of the first Gmail account in Outlook so that you will have 2 email accounts. If Outlook or your ISP does not allow you to create duplicate accounts in Outlook or it does not work with the below described settings, have your client create a new Gmail account or email account from their own ISP to use as the second account.

Assuming that this second account is setup properly and working, open the settings in the second email account and change the “User Information” to that of the company name (or whatever name you desire) and change the E-mail address to user@domain.com. Change only the first 2 lines and leave the Server and Login Information alone.

Next click on the More Settings button and under General tab change the Mail Account name to that of the company (or whatever you desire) and since user@domain.com is not a real email address leave the Gmail account in the "Reply E-Mail" box. You can enter something in the Organization box if desired.

Click Ok and save the changes you made to the second account and then make this account the default account. All outgoing emails will appear to be coming from user@domain.com email account (spoofing) and when the clients reply they will be replying back to the user@gmail.com account. Test the account and make any other changes as needed. If you end up getting duplicate incoming emails, you might want to set up the second email account using a new/different Gmail account. Also it is easy to manually switch between outgoing email accounts by clicking the Account drop-down menu under the send button
    Last edited by bigmats; 2013-05-06 at 20:00.

Thanks
    I had this setup for years with a Yahoo Mail Plus alias account set up in Outlook 2007. Everything worked as described. Unfortunately, a year or so ago, my outgoing alias emails started being bounced by Yahoo SMTP servers with an error message of "553-From address not verified." I've spent many hours researching the error and trying to get support from Yahoo with no luck.

Good luck getting further than I did.

Dave