Thanks

Windows 8 is playing my way now.

Windows 8 has finally succumbed to my scalpel, scissors and sutures. The OS is on one hard drive (the new one I just installed to replace the one that was starting to show its age), Program Files and Users are each on separate partitions/logical drives on another hard drive. ProgramData is on the logical drive with Users.

Only a few Apps were working (I don't use them, anyway), Metro IE10 was working fine. But I'd never installed any of the App updates, so I visited the Store (it works just fine) and selected 15 available updates. All except one (Games) installed. Games has a little circled x on it, but it opens OK. Of course, I'm not signed in using my email, so that may account for part of it. When I open Games and scroll to the end past the screen shots, it asks me to Sign in.

The element to getting it all to work was rather anticlimactic. I remembered an old Win2K/XP trick of using a system level command prompt to open Regedit and/or Registry ToolKit (it's quicker using both, just not at the same time), and not taking ownership as Administrator, just SYSTEM. And of course, numerous drive images along the way. After I recalled that old command prompt trick, I reloaded a pristine Windows 8 image and started fresh.

Oh, the Apps folder on C drive is empty; It's been empty from the beginning. The Apps are in a folder named WindowsApps in the Program Files folder.

Addendum: When I booted over to Windows 8 this afternoon, I was asked to log in and install an important update. It was a definition update for Windows Defender, and it installed without a hitch. I'm going to install a program or two, and I'll update on how that goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-05-01 at 13:58. Reason: spelling, clarity, update
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I installed the Windows Media Center Pack, had to modify two registry settings to get it to go, but then it installed and configured without further ado. I installed the 64bit 2010 Office Home and Business without incident, and I'm currently downloading and installing 26 Windows Updates for Office.

Everything appears to be working fine.

---edit--- all 26 updates installed successfully. Upon reboot, Windows Update found another Update for Office 64bit. That one installed successfully, too.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-05-01 at 16:36.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks

Intriguing side note on the Start Screen

I've been poking around in all areas of Windows 8 since its surgery, to see if everything works as it should. I still had the little encircled x on the Games App, and I clicked on it. It still asks me to sign in, but I don't have a Microsoft email account. I do, however, logon to Microsoft Answers Forum with an email account, but it's not a Microsoft account, and it isn't even a webmail account.

When I closed the Games App, I noticed the Store App indicating that I had one update available. I opened the Store, used my Microsoft Answers logon to sign in, and Games was the available update. I clicked the Install arrow, and it did. When I returned to the Start Screen, the little encircled x was gone from Games.

So even though Microsoft intimates that a Microsoft email account is necessary for the Store and some other Apps, it ain't necessarily so.

I had another 16 Updates for Office 2010 yesterday, and they all installed successfully.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Are you sure you don't have a mail account that you just don't use? I use the same account login to log into Outlook.com, Skydrive, Microsoft Windows IT Pro Forums, and Microsoft Answers forums. It wouldn't surprise me that if you went to Outlook.com, you could log in with the same login you use for Microsoft Answers. I think you get a Microsoft account that's good for everything.

Jerry

Thanks
    I signed in at Microsoft Answers (been there since July '09) and then went to Outlook.com. Sure enough, I was already logged in there, as well. The account login I use is an email account, but it isn't a Microsoft email or even webmail. It's the pop3 address from my web site email account. I pick it up with Outlook.

When I first registered at Microsoft Answers, I had to use an email address for login ID, but I didn't want to open a Microsoft email account, so I tried my web site email address. I wasn't expecting it to, but it worked.

I just picked up the free Solitaire Suite from the Microsoft App Store, and used that same email login.

I do have a few webmail accounts I don't use to send email, they're just there for spam magnets. But they're Yahoo and Gmail, none are Microsoft.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-05-03 at 22:42.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    So even though Microsoft intimates that a Microsoft email account is necessary for the Store and some other Apps, it ain't necessarily so.
    I don't think Microsoft intimate that. They say that any email address can be used for a Microsoft account, and therefore Store Apps:

You need a Microsoft account to get apps from the Windows Store.
    Apps & Windows Store

To use your own email address for your Microsoft account, enter it
    How do I sign up for a Microsoft account?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I don't think Microsoft intimate that. They say that any email address can be used for a Microsoft account, and therefore Store Apps:

Bruce
    My reference is to the OOBE. At first blush, "Microsoft account" intimates "Microsoft" account; to me, anyway. YMMV.

And an update - I've eliminated "Favorites", "Libraries" and "Homegroup" from the Navigation Pane of File Explorer, and it's no longer the Navigation Pain. Now it doesn't do the "pause, JUMP TO SHOW LIBRARIES" when I start dragging a file or folder. "Favorites" is quite simple to eliminate; right-click in the Navigation Pane and un-check "Show favorites". Homegroup can be made to disappear by stopping and disabling "Homegroup Listener" and "Homegroup Provider" in Services. "Libraries" takes a couple of registry edits.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-05-04 at 09:15. Reason: added info

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post

"Favorites" is quite simple to eliminate; right-click in the Navigation Pane and un-check "Show favorites". Homegroup can be made to disappear by stopping and disabling "Homegroup Listener" and "Homegroup Provider" in Services. "Libraries" takes a couple of registry edits.
    Bruce,

Neat! I already have Homegroups banned from all my Win 7 & 8 Installs. I keep Favorites around to get easy access to shares on my NAS and some often used folders that are buried a bit deep on my decades old folder tree. I've actually come to like libraries once I've moved Documents to another drive and made a few changes in the library folders. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bruce,

Neat! I already have Homegroups banned from all my Win 7 & 8 Installs. I keep Favorites around to get easy access to shares on my NAS and some often used folders that are buried a bit deep on my decades old folder tree. I've actually come to like libraries once I've moved Documents to another drive and made a few changes in the library folders. YMMV.
    Hi Bruce,

I migrated to multiple partitions when my folder trees started getting too deep, using the partitions like oversized folders. "My Documents" contains only work and financial documents for the most part. I have well over a terabyte of stuff that I have no desire whatsoever to try to organize into a library system. The way I have it organized now, I can find anything I need without using search. The way MS configured Libraries just doesn't mix with my way of doing things.

Naturally, I use Explorer to get to where I want to go, and that "jump-to-the-library" gets extremely annoying. I typically drag/copy a couple or three folders (my Outlook files folder being one of them) to a partition on a separate hard drive when I'm finished with them for the day, just as a preservation copy (I do drive images a couple or three times a week). With Libraries enabled, I had to wait for the jump before I could drop a folder. It's just much simpler for me without libraries.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I tried every way I could think of to install Money Plus Sunset, and could get it to open but not run. I've been using Money since 2000, I'm quite comfortable with it and don't want to change. So if I'm going to give Windows 8 a serious go, I need Money installed. I tried the install on my laptop (which hasn't been carved up), and it installed fine there. But it wouldn't recognize an Administrators group account (I even enabled the default Administrator) on my split-up system.

With that in mind, plus a couple of little hitches with getting Media Center installed, I decided to have another bite of the apple, and restored an earlier intact image of Windows 8. I installed Money, then proceeded to carve on Windows 8 again. Knowing the hitches in Media Center already, I took care of those in the process.

And I've discovered an area in which I have a preference for Windows 8. It's easier to split apart than Windows 7. There seem to be fewer TrustedInstaller keys in the registry than with Windows 7. There is a bit of tweaking to do with User accounts; the Easy Transfer Wizard drops the ball a bit in the Metro screen, leaving out several of the standard installation Apps (imagine that!). But I got most of them back just by going to the Store and getting the updates. I had a half dozen fail, but I just cancelled them and went back to the Store and got 'em again, and they installed the second time around.

This is the third go 'round with Windows 8, and this one seems well baked; everything works as well as a normal installation. Now all I need to do is find the time to write it up and get it on my site. I've got some folks impatiently waiting for an instruction set.

Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2013-05-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Now, now, it's getting bad, you are already discovering things you like in Windows 8!!

Nice effort and thanks for the updates on your tweaking Windows 8 adventures .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I just finished installing 19 Windows Updates in my reconfigured Windows 8. Two were for Office 2010 and one was a Windows Defender definitions update. The rest were Windows updates, including the Malicious Software Removal Tool. All were successful.

My enhanced configuration of Windows 8 appears to be functioning as well as my enhanced configuration of Windows 7 has been functioning for the last two years. I'm still installing my preferred software as the need arises, and each new installation has proceeded without a hitch. All the bits and pieces are defaulting to the newly defined locations, and it all just works.

I can accomplish (so far) anything I want to accomplish without having to launch from the Metro UI. I have shortcuts on the Desktop and Start Menu that will launch those items. While they might open in the Metro UI (such as PC Settings), they can be launched from the Start Menu without having to go through the Charms Bar first, which eliminates a lot of unnecessary futzing around - just click and go.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I now have Set 7 Free updated to reflect that it is applicable for Windows 8 as well as Windows 7. I still want to do an overhaul/facelift of the entire site, but haven't yet scraped together enough free time.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Still dual booting Windows 7/8, but today I used EasyBCD to change my default OS to Windows 8.

RE posts #10 & #12, I now have Windows 8 running fully as Windows 7 Service Pack 2. The only Apps I've used are the Weather App and Solitaire. I visit the Store from time to time, but there's just nothing there that interests me.

There is only one noticeable difference between Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows 8 (7 Service Pack 2); my home networking is faster in Windows 7 (and no, I do not/will not use Homegroup). There are no other noticeable differences in speed, stability, or reliability. I contribute that (except for the networking) to my carved-up Windows setup.

Yesterday I had just finished balancing my checking account and had started the backup routine (I backup my finances to DVD after each use) when a thunderstorm caused a power outage. It only lasted a couple of minutes. My desktop is setup to resume the last state after a power loss, so it started up and I booted back into Windows 8. Got no notice of improper shutdown or anything else, it just booted normally (Windows 7 always does this, as well). I re-opened Money, saw that my last entries were intact, closed it and completed my backup to DVD.

There are still a few Programs/Application/Utilities that I haven't yet installed in Windows 8, but I have everything that I use on a daily/weekly basis installed, have Task Scheduler running the vast majority of my routine maintenance, and Windows 8, only after all my tweaking and modifications, is now as serviceable for me as Windows 7.

Unleash Windows